Help!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Buckster666, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Want to get a universal remote as I have too many remotes. Need some help choosing one though? Need a remote that can control the following:-

Pioneer 436XDE
    Yamaha YSP-1000 Sound Bar
    Samsung HD950 DVD player
    Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player
    and Sky+

Can anyone recommmend a good remote.

Thanks

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    philips pronto, the ultimate

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Because of the work I do I own a Harmony 895, Pronto 960, Pronto TSU9600, Nevo SL and a Marantz 9200 which is what my family and I use for our own system.

A Pronto or Marantz (they're almost identical) will be one of the most flexible options.

Harmonys are easy to program but I find them a bit 'nanny state' in the way they work. Clever help functions though.

If you have the time, patience and temprement then I would recommend you pick up a s/h Marantz 5200 (B&W) or Marantz 9200 (colour) and start to learn to program. Don't do anything that involves fancy graphics at this stage; just concentrate on getting the remote to control everything.

Next, work on the macros so that you have a button each for the Watch TV, Watch HD, Watch DVD modes that coordinates all the devices and option so that one touch really does do everything. Finish the programming side so that there's a control page after each mode switch. On this page you need basic transport and menu controls, plus sound control for the Yam YSP.

Once all the source switching and control is done then have a look at www.remotecentral.com for an idea how others are designing graphics. You might even find a style that works for you so that you can just lift elements suitable for your program.

The cherry on the cake is adding RF control. You probably know that this means that the remote can be pointed away from the gear yet everything still switches properly in a macro sequence.

Good luck