1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pooon, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Ok, my missus got me the Lecson DVD1000 for christmas to go with our new Toshiba 32ZD26. She got me this one due to the Progressive Scan capabilities and easily hackable to Region 1. So i ordered a Region 1 DVD to test out the picture(dvd is Windtalkers). So i connect the player to the TV using the progressive scan sockets on the back of the player(which strangely are different to the component sockets!?!?), load up the film and to my horror i only get 3/4 of the picture, the top 1/4 is like a TV channel thats not been tuned in or something, its all blurry, so i check all the connections and discover that the labels on the back of the DVD player do not match up with those on the TV. They are labelled as follows:

DVD Player(progressive sockets)
    Red = Pr
    Blue = Pb
    Green = Py

DVD Player(component sockets)
    Red = Cr
    Blue = Cb
    Green = Y

TV
    Red = Pr/Cr
    Blue = Pb/Cb
    Green = Y

So here it is, picture from the component sockets is fine with any DVD, but surely im not getting progressive scan?. Are the TV and DVD player incompatible? Is the dvd outputting pal progressive when the TV only handles NTSC?(which i dont think it is this and it displays Tekken4 fine from my PAL PS2). Or am i just being a div and the answer is obvious?

Any suggestions please, anything!!!:p

2. yashiro

yashiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL Tekken 4 outputs an NTSC Progressive signal NOT a PAL Progressive signal.

Similarly a PAL PS2 '60Hz mode' is actually an NTSC signal.

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    so thats point to the fact that the Lecson dvd player output PAL progressive, which my TV cant handle, and not NTSC which it can. Does anyone know for certain which progressive the Lecson outputs?

4. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just spent last night and this morning playing with a new Lecson 1000 that my Father bought to use on his projector (on my advice).

Having separate component and progressive scan sockets is very confusing - not helped by them also being strangely labelled. What you must bear in mind is that the player only outputs PS for NTSC discs - from the PS component sockets. If you are using a PAL source you will need to use the ordinary component sockets.

Our player also has problems when outputting a PS picture - the top edge of the picture looks "de-tuned" and with fast action the whole image momentarily goes out of syn and then snaps back into place. Very odd. When it's not doing this, the image is very clear and sharp - very impressive.

In terms of what plugs go where, the PS inputs are red/red, blue/blue and green/yellow - the first colour being the phone plug colour, the second being the sockets on the Lecson.

The component only seems to be red/yellow, blue/blue and green/red. I think that's what worked on my NEC projector - I haven't got the projector/DVD player here with me.

Anyway, it's going back. It's too inconvenient having 2 sets of plugs for PAL and NTSC plus the picture jumping makes it pretty much unwatchable.

EffTee

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Cheers for the reply Efftee, good to hear that its not just me having that bizzarre problem, im also taking mine back, hopefully the new one will work.

Anyone know where i would stand legally if they cant provide me with a model that works properly? I'd rather not have a refund as bar the prog scan probs i am happy with the picture quality from the component sockets etc.:p