1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by arowley, Aug 5, 2002.

1. arowley

arowley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone help me with the following problem:

I am going to be undertaking some building work at my house and thought it would be a good idea to wire all my speakers into the wall so the missus will be happy. Then I thought, while I'm at it, why don't I wire speakers into all the downstairs rooms and just have one system to drive them all.

So what I want to do (don't know if it is possible) is have one possibly 2 amplifiers (one for movies, one for music) with a pair of speakers in the dining room, 5 speakers + sub in the living room (able to use just 2 for music, full 5 for movies + sub), 2 speakers in the extension and 2 in the Kitchen. I want to be able to select which speakers are on at anyone time i.e just 5 in living room no others or just the pair in the kitchen etc up to all on at the same time (for parties).

Is what I want to do possible, if so what do I need and where can I get it from?

Thanks

Aidan.

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does your av amp allow you to use the pre outs while driving the mains itself? - if so take the front pre outs out to a second amp that has a speaker a/b, a+b option then you can choose between a(extention) b(kitchen) or both at the same time, or switch it off and just have your av amp........

this could work, i`m pretty sure.....

hope this helps

rob

3. arowley

arowley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Rob, not sure if my AV amp will use the pre outs when driving the main speakers, will have to check that.

I was hoping that the solution would be some type of controller box that will sit between my amps and the speakers. It will take feeds from one amp or the other (not both) and then have a series of switches which can select speaker zones.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I can't believe I am the first person to ever want to do this.

Yours hopefully

Aidan.

4. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0