1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul.B2, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Ok, i want to go down the HCPC route, but..... i can't afford it at the moment. So i was wondering if i could simply exchange the existing graphics card for a Radeon, and also the Soundcard for a SB Live5.1. The problem is, can i feed my Panny AE100 with a wide 480 signal, and also run my monitor without plugging/unplugging every time and changing resolutions?

Does that make any sense?? :blush:

All help gratefully received.

Paul.

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Depends on your PC.

Assuming it's fast enough, with sufficient RAM then a Supergrace Radeon VE would be a cheap solution. I would avoid the Soundblaster and go for a Sonic Fury or anything else cheap with a DD capable digital output.

You can use the first port on the VE for the projector and the second for your monitor. You would have to switch resolutions but there are ways around this. E.g. have two hardware profiles and use one for HCPC and the other for everything else.

3. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Pc spec is:
    1GB Athlon with 128 MB Ram. Would that be ok??

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Should be fine, although RAM is so cheap, you really should consider getting some more. 256MB is good 512 is better 128 should be OK.

If you do a search on Powerstrip and Dscaler on this forum and AVSforum you will find much useful information.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Just to confirm what Dubbing Mixer said - I too have a htpc which is equiped with a 950duron, 128meg 100mz ram and a Supergrace Radeon VE graphics card. I use it with a Davis DLS8 DLP projector.

It works a treat. :)

Gary,

6. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Ok, looks like i'm going to go for the Radeon7500 (£56+vat at dabs) & a Fortissimo 2 sound card. (£33+vat at dabs)

Can anyone confirm that the Fortissimo has an optical out?

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Radeon 7500 is a better I card. (I've got one of them too) but it has a noisy fan. I managed to effectively destroy one by attempting to remove the heatsink to replace it with a Zalman Passive cooler. I'm sure it can be done: If you're very careful (and lucky) Otherwise you could try underclocking it and disconnecting the fan.

The Fortissimo is only a four channel card, which won't matter if you are planning to use it only via the optical connection for home cinema. There does not appear to be a co-axial digital connection.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I would be very wary of the Fortissimo II sound card. I had it and it caused judder and also lost the sound when ever I used pause/fast forward/backward etc. I would have to press Pause/Play repeatidly to get it back. I have read posts from others reporting the same problems with this card. Also when I upgraded to The Theatre Tek DVD player the player would freeze during playback. The judder was improved and the other two problems went away when I changed to a new sound card.

That said the sound hardly ever went while watching a movie and the freezing only occured using TT not PowerDVD or WinDVD and it is a really reasonably priced card with optical out.

Conor