1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paiger, Apr 13, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have fitted a second hard drive and installed XP on it, same as my main drive. It all went fine but when I boot I was under the impression I would get a screen asking me which OS I wanted to use. I don't, it just boots to the main drive. Any ideas?

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi paiger. This is all controlled from Boot.ini which resides in the root area of C:

There'll be a line that looks something like this...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi() is the IDE channel. Zero for IDE0 and one for IDE1
    disk() is always zero
    rdisk() is the disk number on that IDE channel, either zero or one.
    partition() is the partition number where the actual files have been installed (starting from one, not zero!)

In order for Windows to give you a choice that contains the OS on your new disk, you need to create another line at the bottom of the file similar (not the same though) as the above. Here are two possibilities based on your question...

If your new drive is Slave on the Primary IDE channel...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If it's the Master on the secondary IDE channel....

multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Obviously, you can change the text in the quotes to whatever you like.

Hope that helps.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. it's the slave on IDE 2 because I was told to put my Plextor CD Burner as master for it to work properly. Is this a load of cobblers and should I change HDD to master and CD to slave? Will it work as slave on IDE 1?

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Entered the line with mult (1) and rdisk (1) which gives me the boot option and defaults to C after set time. When I tried to select the other OS though it gave me an error message. Is this because it's set to IDE1 slave or do I need to have it listed in the Bios BOOT sequence?

5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi again. You don't need to have the new disc listed in the bios boot order config. What figure do you have for Partition () ?

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have my main HDD as master on IDE0, second HDD as master on IDE1 and CD burner as slave on IDE1. I have edited the boot file to the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

This gives me the menu and defaults to the main drive after the set time but if I try to select the other OS I get a message saying it couldn't boot because of a configuration problem with the drive. If I change the IDE Hard drive in the Bios boot menu to the second drive it boots from this drive with no problems. I'm nearly there but not quite. Any ideas what I've got wrong?

S

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, if I go into my second drive by changing the boot sequence in the bios, the boot file says

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Even though it's on IDE1. What's that all about?

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Paiger,

Hrmmm...looks a bit weird. One of the NT techies here reckons it should look like this (with new disk as Master on the Secondary IDE). I'm not convinced, but it's worth a try...

multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it working in the end with this.

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Dunno why it works but it does. Doesn't make sense. Anyway, thanks for your help in getting me going in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Steve

10. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Strange! Glad you've got it working. I don't suppose you're using an ATA100/133 Highpoint or Promise controller are you? if so, that could confuse things a little.