1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by davand, Feb 18, 2002.

1. davand

davand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. I'm new to this board and to the world of widescreen viewing!!. I've already learnt a great deal from everyone's posts which I am thankful for.

The reason I am here is that I am getting a Toshiba 32zp18p TV delivered on 1st March. I am also due to purchase a Toshiba V851UK video unit and I already own a Toshiba SD100E DVD. I am also due to have Sky digital installed later this week. I have a few questions which I'm sure are simple to answer for you switched on folks but not for me!!

1) What cable/leads will I need to get the best out of my setup?

2) I've heard a few horror stories about the Tosh I'm buying. To be honest, I'm not that into TV's and I'm perfectly happy if I get a half decent picture. Putting things into perspective, is the Tosh an ok TV??

Now that I come to think of it I can't think of anything else to ask - I would greatly appreciate any responses especially to my first question because I'm clueless as to what leads I need.

Many thanks

Andy

2. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For both the DVD and the video, you will need a fully wired 21-pin SCART lead - go for QED SQART leads if your budget permits. You can also improve the analog reception of the t.v by using screened aerial leads with gold plated connectors.

I am assuming that you do not have a cable / sky box as you have not mentioned it.

Do you have any audio equipment (Midi system, amplifier etc.)that you are going to connect the setup to?

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Does your DVD have component video outputs? I know that most Toshes do, but I don't know yours. If it has (it will be 3 phone type sockets) use these to conect to the TV, plus an optical or coax digital sound cable (which ever you find first/cheeper). If not then you will need a fully wired scart cable, if the DVD has two scarts then conect the Sky box to the second one rather than the TV.

You will need a fully wired scart for the Sky box, if Sky are doing the install they will NOT connect it to the TV in the best way, all the installs that I have seen use the airial connection which delivers the worst picture. Dont bother with this when you get the new TV, just plug the scart into AV1 and set the sky box for RGB.

You will need a scart cable for the video to TV and then another for Video to Sky, or you can just go Video - Sky - TV, but this way it can be dificult to see the video's menus as the Sky box will only pass the video's output when it is playing a tape.

Also have a look at some of Doubledoom's answers to similar questions.

Have fun.