1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by aaarrrggghhh!!!, Jan 17, 2002.

1. aaarrrggghhh!!!

aaarrrggghhh!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Panasonic TX32PK3 from House of Fraser, in the sales, and within a few hours of "playing around" have already noticed something wrong.

My TV is connected to a multiregion Toshiba SD100E DVD player via the RGB scart at the back.

The problem is that when playing R2 discs, I have an imprint in the background, of whatever TV station was left on just before I changed to AV1. As you can guess, concentrating on watching a film with the shadows of people wandering around in the background isn't what you'd expect.

The problem is the same in both scart sockets, but only on R2 discs. R1 seems to work fine. I had never encountered this problem using my old 21 inch Sony TV, and I don't know whether it's the DVD player, the TV or the scart leads.

Any comments from anyone who's had any similar problems, or knows how to fix it, would be greatly appreciated :confused:

2. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you using a decent shielded scart lead?

john

3. aaarrrggghhh!!!

aaarrrggghhh!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, i'm just using old, cheap scart leads.

Any recommendations on which type to use, i was thinking of buying a decent s-video lead, are these any better?

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1 are NSTC so TV is changing to a different system.............so if the imprint is just on R2 i would investigate and see if there is any RF interference...!!

In any case throw away that nastie scart............:D

RGB seems to be the prefered option.....QED/IXOS do very good interconnects from about £25+.........if you are going the RGB route, you can get an RGB scart.....this has all the pins removed that are not required, this lead is directional.... will carry video but not audio...!! so audio will have to be routed through an amp...!

S-video to scart would be needed so not to have the interconnect hanging from the front of the screen....unless socket is at the rear, make sure TV supports s-video through one of it's scarts...!

;)

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try detuning the set before switching to A/V, that is if you can force the set to select and store a channel without any transmission on it. It might be hard on some sets. You might get a bit of noise coming through from the resulting ant farm though.

Alas I think this is a common problem with bad separation in the function switches of many sets. I've seen it on various sets and I had a bit of a problem with it on my late RPTV. (Do I ever miss that TV, it actually worked as it should and the picture was amazing... way better than my recent direct view nightmares)

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    BAD ADVICE.

I think you'll find this incorrect.

Yes RGB is the preferred route, however an RGB SCART will have ALL it's pins connected. It IS Bi-Directional, it DOES carry AUDIO and it also carries S-Video.

Get a good quality one with individually screened connections.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,967
    no you can get a RGB-only sQuart by QED, which has all pins removed other than RGB connections, to minimise interference.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Fair enough, Bob007, sorry if I mis-understood.

However I still think a normal RGB SCART will suffice in the poster's (and most people's) case.

In fact this is the first time anywhere on this forum that I have seen such an RGB SCART as mentioned by Bob007.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,967
  10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    At 71.99, somehow I don't think i'll invest in one!

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,967
    £72, but thats for the 5 metre one!! They do a 1m and 3m version

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to get the exact same problem with my 29" Sony when watching NTL Digital via AV1.

The only way round it for me was to program a channel (e.g.8) to a frequency that had no broadcast, this produced a blue screen on the Sony. You then select Ch8 before pressing AV thus all you have underneath is a plain blue screen. This worked pretty well.

In terms of scart leads - I've got some fully wired "Home Cinema" scart leads from www.lektropacks.co.uk quality is superb and they only cost around £15.

Don't know whether the scart will solve your problem though because I only bought them after I'd changed from the Sony to a 36" Tosh earlier in the year - this problem doesn't occur with the Tosh but that could be down to the tele rather than the lead!

Cheers
    OG

13. aaarrrggghhh!!!

aaarrrggghhh!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, i've ordered an IXOS scart lead from Empire Direct. £24.99 seems OK, and i needed to replace the old leads anyway.

Haven't got an amp yet so i don't need the RGB only scart.

Will try re-tuning or finding a channel with no broadcast, and i'll let you know what happens later.