1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Metric, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My projector has just died... i think.

I just wiped the lense with a clean dry cloth and then went to power up and it makes a loud clicking noise (you can see like a matrix of green flashes through the lense) then it just sits there and does the same thing every minute or so.

The projector has the lamp/cover light solid lit even when the unit is shutdown.

Has the bulb gone? is the room too warm? the prob is the machine is 6mths old but only had 57hrs use, all this week infact.

Suggestions, should sony replace? if not where can i get a bulb from before my new years day showing?

Cheers
    Mike

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It does sound like a premature failure.

You don't say what the projector is though.

Have you tried disconnetcing the lamp and reconnecting sometimes dirty connections can cause this sort of thing.

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, its a sony wht10, i took the bulb out, looks ok, someone suggested it might be a power supply fault within the projector.

My biggest problem is i cant find any where local to take it, i used sonys website to list centres near me (im in the midlands) and of the 5 ive phoned only 1 will look at it but want money to do so first even though its under warranty.

In the states it appears you phone sony who come and collect the unit.

Its annoying but i would pay for a new bulb (again if i could find one local) but im concerned the fault either a) isnt the bulb or b) kills the new bulb too.

Mike

4. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    try these people
    http://www.marata.co.uk
    i think they are the sole importers for sony .and are very helpfull
    not sure if they charge to look at it .....:( sorry to hear about the sony m8e

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Marata are closed for the hols just now I think.

It sounds like it's trying to spark the lamp but it isn't happening. I've seen this with another manufacturers product. When the unit was COLD ie it hadn't even been plugged in to mains for hrs and the room was cold it wouldn't spark either. However after leaving it in warm room with power lead going to unit the device itself got warm enough so that when you tried to turn it on the lamp would spark in to life.

Never come across this with Sony though. Sounds like you may need to contact the folk you got it from for a warranty replacement lamp.

Gordon

6. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it from mistersuper, my belgium import risk has come home to roost ;) but anyway, the bulb had 57hrs but is older than 90 days, my main concern is that its something else. Im going to mail mistersuper who assured me the product had a european warranty.

I thought it would be a case of just calling sony who would send someone out, much like a tv repair... is this not the case?

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Just try one thing before you panic (unless you already have).

Disconnect it from the Mains and leave it for 5 minutes. Then reconnect and try powering it up again.

It's worth a try, just in case the system control software has got into a loop or something.

8. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, yep tried that, left it overnight and still the same thing. Ive just spoken to sony uk, who say its upto sony belgium to sort out... doh