1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hoof, Sep 20, 2005.

1. hoof

hoof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken over the dining room, painted it black all over (yes black) and I mean all over, ceiling, skirting etc. I have replaced traditional white sockets and switches with black and placed some flush fitting blue LED lights in the ceiling. The walls have home made symetrical art using gloss black and silver paint, and a simple brushed aluminium clock hangs from the other wall. I smashed a hole in one wall into a fitted cupboard in the other room (my wife hates me) this is to store DVD, PC and set top box (360 when available) and to keep it out of reach of my toddler who likes to put strange things in DVD players and eat STB veiwing cards. My 5.1 set up is cheapish the Samsung on the stands, but this met all my criteria with connections (even has a USB) and budget. All wires are invisible as they run behind, round or under skirting ceilings or walls. One thing missing for my chill out zone is a TV. I have fallen in love with dlp as a technology but I lack real experience in choosing brand. Samsung, Thompson, LG, Sagem........HELP. Max spend is 2.5k but want to stay under 2k where possible. please please help. :clap:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,774
    It sounds to me like you have the ideal environment there for the only true cinematic experience - front projection.......

3. hoof

hoof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FP makes me nervous. and the room is "geared-up" now for something more traditional. The living room is now just for the kids (3) but they will be using this AV room from time to time and I considered FP as the ultimate but the mounting of the projector and the additional cables, proximity of equpment just put me off. I hate cables exposed, I worked in the cable industry for years and hated seeing lazy or bad installs, I just coudn't see a way of working FP in (especially now with the hole in the wall and 5.1 in place) succesfully. If I had discovered this forum 3 months ago whilst at planning stage, who knows. Many THANKS LV! :thumbsup:

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Hoof Welcome to the forums :hiya:

I would go the front pro route, burrying cables is not that hard especially as you have come from this industry. You can beat a 8 foot wide screen and a front pro-set up.

Have a demo of a few front pros and then make up your mind. The extra work will be worth it and you only have to run a 1 chase and that will do for power and video feeds.

I have a 65" screen (pics on sig) and my father has 9 foot wide front pro set up (both DLP). The difference in impact is definitely there. If you have a dedicated room, especially a black one go front pro.

There is a home cinema show coming up in Heathrow and Hammersmith for demo purposes. (front and rear pro) :rolleyes:

Good Luck :thumbsup: