1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Andywilliams, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Right before i start i dont know much about computers so would appreciate if somone can answer my question.I want to buy a dell laptop inspiron 1200 for my daughters birthday iam on ntl broadband and want to have the laptop on remote broadband i can have the receiver fitted to the laptop for £50 but what do i have to do to receive the internet from my broadband modem which is in my sons room.Sorry ive gone on but as i said i know little about computers.
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I think you are talking wireless?

So the laptop will have a wi-fi module in it, and you currently have wired only broadband?

2 options:

1/ get a wi-fi dongle for the desktop with broadband connected and use Internet Connection Sharing (easier if both PC's running XP). This is called ad-hoc and is not recommended, it should work and is a cheap solution but the PC with the broadband modem connected to it will have to be switched on and connected to the internet in order for the laptop to make a wireless connection.

2/ Connect your existing broadband modem to a wi-fi capable router. So the router is always on and has the broadband connection, this then connects to the PC's and laptops either wirelessly or with ethernet cables and shares the internet connection amongst them.

These people are good www.broadbandstuff.co.uk

lisa

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    yeah.. Lisa's option 2 is definitely your best bet.

You can get the wireless adapter built into the laptop as you say, (keep an eye out for any special offers Dell always run too... this might end up costing nothing extra if you get in at the right time)

EDIT: {I'll leave this in case you've already seen, but ignore the section just below, its all wrong....!}
    then, all you need is a wireless ADSL router ( an ADSL modem, and a wireless reciever in the same box) - you can pick one of these up for around £60. (The Netgear DG834G is particularly easy to setup yourself)
    once you have this, your current broadband modem becomes redundant.

EDIT: {back to reality}
    Your daughters laptop will connect to the router wirelesly, and your son's PC then connects straight into the router with a network cable, (included with the router in 9/10 cases..)
    The router also offers much better internet security due to it's built in Firewall..

What make/how recent is the lad's PC? (just to make sure you don't need any extra networking bits for his....)
    :)

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hey The Dude...

He's on NTL I think thats cable not ADSL so if his existing modem has an ethernet port he may need to keep it to add it to the router?

How come nobody ever likes talk about ad-hoc networking and Internet Connection Sharing? It's like its a dirty secret :eek: I used it for a few months and never had any problems.

lisa

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    :oops: You're absolutely right Lisa....!!! :oops:

My 834G tip probably can almost certainly be bettered too on that basis, know of anything similar without the ADSL modem? it'd be a shame to spec something that isn't really required.....:blush:

There's nothing really 'wrong' with AdHoc/ICS as such... I'm agreed there, it's just the fact of having to leave the master PC on, and the HW firewall that you get with a router is such a big improvement for inbound security...

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Thanks for the info ive spoke with dell and they will supply all i need to go wireless at a good price.
    Thanks. :thumbsup: