1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BenB, Jun 20, 2005.

1. BenB

BenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice. Several months ago, I got someone to build me some bookshelves, and specified an exact space for a flat-screen LCD TV, assuming I was going to buy, nearer the time, the Sharp LC32GA4E. I was going to detach the side speakers, and use a proper surround-sound system instead.

Now, it turns out, theat screen has been discountinued (why????), and can't be found for love nor money.

Help with two queries would be great:

1. Is there anywhere that still has one in stock?

2. If not, what is the best screen, with detachable speaker, that someone could recommend that would fit into a space 800mm by 580mm (WxH)?

Thanks so much,

Ben

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I seriously doubt you would find a ga4 anywhere now. Why they discontinued it im not sure.
    I cant think of any other LCDs apart from the Relisys RLT3200 or the Hitachi that have detachable speakers. Im sure there are others? The Hitachi is 839 x 545 x 123 though, so too big in the width maybe.
    Does the Sharp GD1E speaker detach? I know the GA5 doesnt. The GD1E is also still priced quite high.

You might also want to wait for the new Sharp range that is due over the summer. They "look" like they are based on the same chassis as previous models (from pictures ive seen anyway), but that doesnt mean squat in terms of dimensions.

3. BenB

BenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, Dan. V. valuable advice.

I think my options are (i) the Relisys 3200 or (ii) a smaller screen. I'm inclined to get the Relisys, but are they any good, do you know?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is a massive Relisys appreciation thread lurking around. Dig into that.

Jimmy

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi BenB,

The GA3/4 model were discontinued because Sharp didn't realise the demand potential in the UK and so didn't order as many and basically sold out. They couldn't order more because the factory wasn't making any more. The GA5 is the little sibling with reduced functionality and as already been said doesn't have a detachable speaker.

The GD1E does have a detachable speaker but I'm not sure on the availability.

I'd wait for the new Sharps to come around in a few months.

Richie.