1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SCOTT_SCOTLAND, Apr 9, 2005.

1. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a daft question but whats the best plasma to get for £2000 or less, seen them as cheap as £998 for 42" at Makro wholesalers but i suppose they wouldnt be much good (Bush Model)

Justnow ive got a front projector in a loft conversion but due to moving house will now need to purchase my first plasma, hopefull as large as possible, may be able to speak to the BOSS and get my funds raised another 500-100 depending on what sort of mood shes in :cool:

Also do different models last longer ?? and can you view them at different angles or do you need to be quite central like a rear projection tv ?

I could go on and on with different questions but thats a start, oh, whats a good website to look at, tried plasmapoint and even looked at Tiny, are they any good ?????

Also also, with the size 322 ect ect how is it measured ? from topr right to bottom left or what ??

Ok cheers folks :smashin: Looking forward to your replies

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    There are basically 2 types:
    Ones with built in tuner, speakers etc.
    Ones that are just a panel - you would need tuner (sky) speakers (amp) etc.

Depends what you want to use it for..

Tiny are cr*p

Also look at this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202137

Size measured from corner to corner

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    A few more things to consider...

At the moment you have standard definition plasma - 850x480 ish

You can get something like the new panasonic Viera 42" for £1800ish TH42PE50
    I'm not sure if that includes a stand - are you wall mounting, on the floor or on a unit?

Then are the Hi-def models 1074x780ish, these are more future proof, but cost more.
    There is the Pioneer 435, and then there is the new panasonic virea TH42PV500 coming in the next few weeks.

You also have to allow your budget for extra warrany £200ish and also to get the screen calibrated (coulours etc) which costs £250.

There is a lot to learn, don't rush into anything - just keep asking questions on this forum and let people know what you want to use it for, wwhat kit you have and what your budget is...

4. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    The calibrated bit is getting the screen set up properly, you usually run the plasma for approx. 200 hours on a lower brightness/contrast setting the after that you get the screen ISF calibrated, as the factory settings are usually not the best.
    This link gives you an idea:
    http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/calibration.html
    and he is also in Scotland.

A 42" sounds about right for your viewing distance.
    The life span is prob. about 25 years on normal viewing.
    DVD player connection is component and is prob. the best to go for.
    A recommended site is www.av-sales.co.uk for good service and advice.
    A panel would probably be best for your setup and mounting it on the wall, but you also have to buy the boards for your connections eg. a component board for your DVD, av-sales would advise what you need.

Don't get me wrong, I am no expert, only what I have read on this forum, I am hoping to purchase a plasma soon, once I have moved house.
    There is a lot to get your head round, but this is the best place for advice.

The best way to decide on a plasma is to go and view one, but at a proper shop, not Currys, Comet etc.

Good Luck

7. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, i am in Aberdeen, well close to it, and the only proper hifi shops here are really expensive ones so might be a good excuse for a day trip to Glasgow or Edinburgh,,,,

We move into the new house in 6 weeks so i'd better get a move on and start looking

Thanks again

Scott

8. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hail, hail, Scott

Don't get hung up on the ISF thing, the majority of plasma owners don't have them professionally calibrated IMHO......................but from what i've heard it does make a difference...........................something to think about after your 200 hours running in period.

If your looking at £3K check the Pioneer 435XDE and its hi-def ready.

Cheers, Tam

9. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scott,

you've got loads of budget there - at £3000 you can afford every consumer 42" plasma TV out there! no need to flatter the boss, unless you fancy two plasmas!

as has been said, your viewing distance and budget is ideal for 42". All screen sizes are measured diagonally, all plasmas can be viewed from any angle, and all have a very healthy lifespan. Extended warranty and ISF calibration are not essential by any means, just peace of mind/icing on cake etc - the plasma will work great without them.

you can't/shouldn't buy one right this minute, as new sets (better, cheaper, high-definition ready) are coming out this very month and next! you can afford any plasma you want from Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Hitachi and Philips.

some potential highlights: Panasonic 42PE50 (£1650, not HD-ready though), Panasonic 42PV500 (£2100), Hitachi 42PD7200 (£2100), Pioneer 435XDE (£2500)...and a lot more!

Haven't seen them yet, but the Panasonic 42PV500 is shaping up to be a cracker..

Your other option is to get a panel-only + external scaler, to possibly get better picture quality still, but at the moment its not as simple or cheap an option as buying a nice TV...