Question Help...

micthetic

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i currently own an eclectic mix of components. I downgraded from a Denon 3805 to a 1911 to get the hdmi connectivity i needed. This is connected to a BW LCR3 centre, Chario Syntax fronts, Wharfedale 8.2 rears and a BK200 sub. Rear cables are Ixos thick dumbell and the fronts are QED. Other compnents are a Panasonic tx-l55et60, Sony Bluray player, forget the model (never use it), a Humax Freesat HD , BT HD and a Sumvision Micro 4 which i only use for files the Panasonic media player can't or won't read. 90% of my viewing is through my Nas box
This brew makes a reasonably good sound but heres my problem. I'll be coming into posession of my brother's Epos M12i fronts, matching M8i centre and A85 amplifier.
Options are as i see it is to use the A85 for the fronts into an AV amplifier with preouts, sadly selling the Charios because they'd need to be on tall stands with large top plates to accommodate the downward firing bass port, use the Wharfdale 8.2 as rears until i get a suitable Epos replacement.
I could buy a AV amplifier with reasonable audiofile pretentions (not cheap i know but i don't mind secondhand) then i could sell the A85 along with the other components.
I'm wanting a AV amplifier with 3D passthrough, 6 or more hdmi inputs and good internet connectivity for less than £1k with upto £300 for rears, preferably in Rosewood to match the other Epos speakers.
I spent quite a bit of time listening to stereo and i've just been flirting with 2.1 so the good old 2 channel needs to be reasonable.
In my other room i've had some nice equipment in the past, namely Olive Naim Nac72,140,Hicap
Marantz CD10, SD Acoustics SD1 amongst others. But as priorities change and interests shift it has come to comprise... a Denon PMA560, Pioneer PDS703, PC audio files through a SMSL SD192 DAC feeding a pair of refurbished JPW AP3 speakers. This blows the AV gear out of the water so i'm looking for something that is less sonically compromised.
Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Micthetic.

If you weren't to fussed on internet connectivity I'd have said look at a used Anthem 310 / 510 as you won't get better audio quality anywhere near the price - internet connectivity and features such as Spotify etc. are woefully absent.

Other than that the Denon X5200 and the Pioneer LX58 are powerhouse amps that are now nearing your price point and offer the sort of connectivity that you want.

Alright Ghost, I've looked at Anthem and put them on my shortlist. the Denon AVR 4520 looks like it could fit the bill (secondhand) and that Pioneer ticks the boxes. Internet isn't a deal breaker but if an amp has it with a nice UI then it might persuade me.
Any thoughts on rosewood rears? they don't necessarily have to be Epos. And that A85, i have the option on that but i'd only go for it if it really was going to be worth it, a one box solution makes more practical sense.

I have no experience with EPOS at all so cannot comment with any certainty.

Personally I went for the KEF T205 system as I wanted wall mounted and good quality and don't have the space for floor-standing or even stand-mount speakers - as a 5.1 kit I've been very happy with them.

Regarding using the A85 as a stereo amp for the front L&R - honestly I'm not a fan of trying to make things fit together just because you have them. The thought of having to balance the audio on separate amps just leaves me cold.

Personally if you want a 5.1 / 7.1 with good stereo I'd seriously consider the Anthem route. Have a chat with QuantumAV as he stocks and has experience with them - Anthem will probably be my next upgrade given the quality of the ARC room correction software that is, reportedly, streets ahead of the rest.

The A85 I believe has a proper HT bypass so setup should be easy.

Denton 1911 - looks like the weakest link in the current lineup.

Epos - I'd be wanting to try them out in the current system/ room before deciding that I need to rebuild my system around them.

As Jamie say integrating the A85 with an AVR ought to be relatively simple.

Joe

SD1 - they were fun, sold a few sets of those back in the mid 80's. One customer had a pair in his recording studio - we had to upgrade/mod them to make it simpler to replace the protection fuses as he had a tendency to pop them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom