Help!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DanW, Mar 12, 2005.

1. DanW

DanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which of these subs would be best for music listening? HSU VTF-2 MK 2 ($500), the SVS pb10 ($430), and the AV123 Rocket ULW-10 ($400).

2. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only you could answer that, by listening to them in your system! Those internet companies have a return policy if your in the States otherwise......
    Trying to find someone who has heard all those subs in a system similar to yours, in a room similar to yours.... nearly impossible.
    People will chime in with there own favourites, or guess as to what's more musical (non ported subs ie Hsu are always quoted as musical).
    My advice, fwiw, all subs mentioned are good value and sound great, which is why you picked them I guess, so listen to what available in b&m stores and if nothing rocks your boat, buy the SVS. (Soon to be SVS owner here)
    You see everybody has their favourites ;-)
    Des.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Neither the HSU nor the Rocket subs have fired the imagination of the UK forum public quite like SVS and whilst we have a large number of SVS owners here I can't recall anyone buying either of the the other two so they are pretty much unknown territory to us.

I have the SVS PB-10 and find it to be truly excellent with music as well as movies but I trust you are aware that it has no high level connectors so cannot be connected up at speaker level to a stereo amp.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm not familiar with the HSU unit but the other 2 models you mention are very different beasts but by all accounts are among the best in their categories.

The SVS PB10 is very large whilst the Rocket is much smaller. I think your first decision should be how much room you can accomodate for the sub, once you've done that then the answer should be forthcoming without too much trouble.

I think the ULW10 is a ported model whilst the UFW10 is the sealed model. :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Eviljohn2 seems to be implying that biggest is best but I'm not sure that I agree with that assumption.

I assumed that when Dan asked for opinions on three named subs for music he had already made his mind up on whether he has the room to accomodate them and was asking for opinions on their sonic ability.

I can only speak for the SVS sub which is excellent for music but I would suggest that you look at avsforums in US for opinions on Rocket and HSU as there are many people over there who have first hand experience of them.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Fair point, it's not quite what I was getting at. More along the lines that if you can't fit the larger models in then you may as well rule them out from the start.

If you have room for any of them then the problem is slightly more tricky. The ULW10 will probably lose out on outright extension to the PB10 but for a music sub that isn't quite as relevant. I would be inclined towards the ULW10 as it has a basic automated room correction built in to it which will certainly help in a music situation.

My opinions are only based on specs and what I've read around this and various other forums though. There's loads of information available at places like:
    www.av123.com
    www.avsforum.com
    and here of course. :)

7. DanW

DanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the help! do the SVS or HSU have any features that compensate for not having automated room correction? like can you simply manually tune them to prevent "peaks"?