1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by skip, Jan 18, 2005.

1. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hope there is someone out there to help.currently own a pan 100hz tv with a pan ht 80 dvd home theatre system. went into comet merseyside and was amazed by the sagemhtd 50dlp, i was told that it was compatible with the new sky format and everything for the future of tv, wasnt that mad on normal arial picture but the salesman told me to watch through sky. (as you may of guessed totally new to this hole new concept of hdt and hdcp formats) I told him that i currently watch everthing through normal scart. he advised me to purchase better leads , a sv lead from my dvd to tv and seperate adio leads, and normal gold lined scart leads for sky and video. after going on this site i have found that there is a hole new world out there. can anyone recomend myself what to do ( i have told comet to put the sale on hold as i have seen the new hd-d45 due out) the manager has said that the new model sagem will be in ,in four weeks at the same price. or should i get the d50 and set it up like the salesman advised me to do.

2. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I actually own the Toshiba 46WM48 and, to my knowledge (shoot me if i am wrong) that is the only HDCP DLP at the moment.

I'm afraid the Comet salesman is telling you porkies. As it stands, SKY intend to use HDCP and unless I am very much mistaken the Sagem 50"er doesn't have HDMI and the DVI isn't compatible. I'm sure some of the owners of that set will be able to confirm whether Sagem are able to do the proposed upgrade that was being talked about before xmas.

If not, then the only option if you fancy a Sagem is to wait for the HD45.

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep that sounds like Comet trying to push a sale on you filling you full of rubbish :)
    Anyway I have th Sagem 50" awsome TV superb picture and no trouble with it at all I can confirm that it doesn't support HDCP still have no idea if they are going to offer an ugrade but there is a fix at the moment purchase a Samsung DVD player which disables the HDCP you can then hook up sky to the dvd player driect then DVD goes into your Tv, all sorted but I am sure by the time sky actually launchh their HDTV there will be lots of DVD players iwth the disable function and maybe even an external device or PC based device.
    So if your not put off by the lack of HDCP go for the 50".

4. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thank you for your reply. i am totally new to these type of forums (and computers if truth benone ) so if i go ahead with the d50 what would you say would be the best set up ,the one the salesperson suggested or something else. cheers skip

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How does that work? Has the DVD got any pass through ports. I don't see how a scart signal can route through it or upscale. As far as I can see the Samsung hack only disables the HDCP on its own HDMI output. Any ideas?