Help!

Saahir786

Just recently bought a Sony 46'' kdl ex 713

Standard setting is on 576p just wondering how do I get it to maximum quality of 1080p?

Sorry not really any good with tv's !!

Thanks in advance

Jeebus

Novice Member
What are you watching it on? Sky? Xbox? Blu ray player? It all depends on what source you are connected to.

Saahir786

Jeebus said:
What are you watching it on? Sky? Xbox? Blu ray player? It all depends on what source you are connected to.

Well watching tv where I'm connected to virgin media

vickster

Distinguished Member
You'll only get 1080p with blu-ray and some games

Certainly not Virgin TV - not even the HD channels are 1080p via HDMI (broadcast at 1080i)

Saahir786

Ahh thanks no wonder I thought so however I'm sure I can improve quality from 586p I have the v+ box output with hdmi cable

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not as I understand it, not if you don't have a V+ HD box and an HD signal - this is the SD signal

MartinCollinson

Novice Member
Ahh thanks no wonder I thought so however I'm sure I can improve quality from 586p I have the v+ box output with hdmi cable

That box only outputs SD content so no matter what cables you use or how you set up the TV you will not get an HD signal. If you get the Virgin HD box and use an HDMI cable you will get 1080i picture on the HD channels (when they are broadcasting HD content but not all the output is in HD even on HD channels).

To get 1080p signals and pictures you need a bluray player hooked up to your set with another HDMI cable and, of course, some bluray discs.

Last edited:

Saahir786

Okay thanks for taking your time to explain :smashin:

Saahir786

Just re-read your post and I do in fact have a v+ hd box

MartinCollinson

Novice Member
Just re-read your post and I do in fact have a v+ hd box

In which case if you have an HDMI connecting it to your set you should be seeing 1080i pictures when you watch one of the HD channels when it has an HD programme on.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Do you have the V+ HD box set to 1080i HDMI or similar (I can't remember what it need to say) :) Then you should see HD when you are on a channel with an HD programme on. How far do you sit from the TV - unless you are quite close, even then the picture may not seem as good as you expect

Saahir786

vickster said:
Do you have the V+ HD box set to 1080i HDMI or similar (I can't remember what it need to say) :) Then you should see HD when you are on a channel with an HD programme on. How far do you sit from the TV - unless you are quite close, even then the picture may not seem as good as you expect

I'll check settings and get back to you thanks for the information mate

Saahir786

Checked setting Its set on 1080 wide however when starting up my tv it still says 586p

Saahir786

Itv 1 hd

Saahir786

Will do thanks will have a watch for at least an hour before getting back to you just so for self comparison

Saahir786

It's on 1080 when playing games I think it's just the channels as you said mate

Cheers for the help

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom