1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DaveO, Oct 4, 2004.

1. DaveO

DaveO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if I am in the right place to ask but i need some advice.

I currently have a toshiba 28" tv with stereo sound but I would like to buy a home cinema kit so i can have surround sound.

My idea is that i need one of these home cinema kits that i could connect a DVD player, my xbox and maybe a freeview box to. Is this possible?

I have no idea if this is possible or how the wiring would go, I tried to look at the back of a home cinema kit in dixons to see what the connectors and sockets were like but I couldnt work it out.

My tv has four scart sockets, and i know my xbox supports 5.1 sourround sound, not sure if this helps!

Please help me! :lease:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Number 1: STAY OUT OF DIXONS!!
    Number 2: You need an AV amp or AV reciever. :)

See this forum on this site: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Get a budget amp and 5 speakers for a great surround experience. Avoid an all-in-one setup as you already have a DVD player and they tend to be lower powered and limited if you want to upgrade later.

3. DaveO

DaveO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I know dixons and pc world and all them stores are quite dodgy, i was just trying to get a look at the back of a kit, i would never dream of buying anything of value from there. Thanks for the advise, ill look into it, cheers.

4. DaveO

DaveO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I'm not sure i understand, this is how i see it. I have all my devices, all which use a scart connections. I understand you get leads that instead of a scart, split into three different leads, red,white and yellow. From what I know, one of these leads is for picture, and the other two left audio and right audio, is this correct? So i would still have my devices being plugged into my tv with the video lead but the left and right audio ones going into this amp device? I'm confused

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You are correct that you would continue to connect the sources by scart to the TV for best quality pictures but connect the audio leads from the sources to the amp for the sound. Connect the DVD player via a digital lead and the others with the red and white analogue connectors