Help Yamaha HS7

Dreamweave

Novice Member
Hello everyone!! I own a pair of Yamaha HS7 speakers and the HS8S subwoofer and use a technics turntable and DJ mixer to play music. I understand the pre amp in my Pioneer mixer is not very good. Would buying an integrated amplifier, such as the Marantz PM6006 improve the sound quality rather than using the Pioneer mixer? I have already upgraded the cartridge to a AT-VM95-ML. Thanks in advance.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Don’t bother with an integrated as the power amp part will not be used and so wasted money. Have a look for a dedicated preamp like the Audiolab 8000c or Rotel Rc1070 both have decent phono stages. If you only intend on using a couple of analogue sources then how about a passive preamp (Tisbury pre) plus a separate phono stage for the turntable (tusbury do one of those aswell, or rega/project/schiit etc). I have found passive Preamp’s work well with active speakers. (I’m using a SMPro MPatch plus Edwards Apprentice phono stage).

what is your budget and are you ok for second hand.

Dreamweave

Novice Member
Don’t bother with an integrated as the power amp part will not be used and so wasted money. Have a look for a dedicated preamp like the Audiolab 8000c or Rotel Rc1070 both have decent phono stages. If you only intend on using a couple of analogue sources then how about a passive preamp (Tisbury pre) plus a separate phono stage for the turntable (tusbury do one of those aswell, or rega/project/schiit etc). I have found passive Preamp’s work well with active speakers. (I’m using a SMPro MPatch plus Edwards Apprentice phono stage).

what is your budget and are you ok for second hand.
Thanks for your reply. Was looking at servicing my technics and upgrading the RCA’s and spending about £350 ish On an amp. How about the Rega phono MM?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
With the Rega you will still need some sort of Preamp to control volume and switching sources (if you need that). The Rega look pretty good but there have been a couple of threads on here saying that for the £ you can do better but forget the alternatives, I am sure others will chip in. But for £350 you can add the Tisbury pre to the Rega Fono mk3 (another alternative at £200ish) and be good to go.

By the way the VM95ML is a cracking cartridge/stylus, great level of detail and good stylus life, I had one on a Linn Axis and was very please.

Dreamweave

Novice Member
Wasn't aware of this product. Thanks for the heads-up, Ugg10.
Just come across this, it’s got a volume control too which is important as the volume control isn’t easily accessible where I have the speakers positioned.
Cambridge Audio Alva Duo Moving Coil & Moving Magnet Phono Preamplifier - Subsonic Filter, 6.35mm Headphone Socket, Auto Power Down

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
In the manual the Cambridge Duo volume control is marked as "headphone volume" so the output RCA plug on the rear may be fixed volume. Worth checking out.

The Schiit Mani plus Loki may be worth a look -

Last edited:

Dreamweave

Novice Member
In the manual the Cambridge Duo volume control is marked as "headphone volume" so the output RCA plug on the rear may be fixed volume. Worth checking out.
Good shout. I’ve got a Scarlett 2I2, could that be used in conjunction with the Cambridge duo to control the volume, of so, would this impede the sound quality?