help yamaha amp and 7 speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alexbartman, Feb 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. alexbartman

alexbartman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i think i am being a bit of a novice but....i have just had a 7 speaker Arecam muso system fitted to my yamaha dsp ax863se amp...
    The speakers all work fine, but on DVD and bluray playback, i just can not get the two rear surround speakers to work...i get great sound but should there be some output form the back 2 speakers??? i have tried a variety of different options for sound fields but nothing, except a 7-channel enhancer which works, but sounds awful!!!
    I have turned the speakers on on the amp - and they are definitely correctly wired correctly as i can send a test signal to them...
    Is this normal - i know most audio is recorded for 5 channel output but i hoped to get 7 channels!!??
    thanks
    alex

2. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    There is a setting 'EXTD SURRD' (manual set up > sound menu > E) that controls the behaviour of the surround back settings), probably worth checking. The settings are explained on page 75 of the manual.

I'm not sure if they can be driven from normal 5.1, you may need the EX versions.

Chris

3. alexbartman

alexbartman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnaks for that - set 'EXTD SURRD' to Dolby PLIIx movie - and its working....Im now really confused about the Dolby prologic...I thought this was a setting that was encoded on the disc - so it either has it, or doesn;t - how come I was able to just turn it on like that?? When I press sur decode(on the remote) it just says Dolby Digital - and the DVD case claims the DVD is is Dolby Digital????
    Can anyone explain for me please - I'm still very much a novice!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009