1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! XBox Wireless Bridge issues!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Kazman, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hello Forum Oracle

I finally managed to get some time to complete Halo 2 on Friday night, great game by the way :), so I thought I’d get hooked up on LIVE and dish out some frags online :).

Bought a nice Buffalo 54g Airstation Wireless Bridge Access Point a few months ago in prep for this, and two things are happening:

1: The Xbox does not recognise the device in bridged mode

2: I can’t see anywhere in the setup to enable WEP encryption in bridged mode on the Bridge itself!!!

I was up until about 1am last night trying to set it up, and I’m probably missing something obvious, does anyone here have the same Bridge and got it working successfully?

HELP!!! I want to slap people with Master Chiefs rocket launcher online :D

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It could be that the cable supplied with the Bridge was not a cross over cable, I've sourced one today, so will try that one.

Does anyone know if the XBox will allow you to set WEP encryption values? I'm not happy with not having any encryption enabled, don't want any chavs trying to access my broadband.

Once I set the bridge mode, there is no way to access the wireless bridge unless I reset the unit and start again, arrggghh!!

Help people :)

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I would try and get the bridge working with your PC first. This will give you much better diagnostics - doing ping, tracerte, etc.

Once that is sorted, you should be able to plug your Xbox straight into it.

I don't use WEP myself, I just restrict stuff based on Mac address.

Anyone who is capable of spoofing the Mac address would be equally capable for getting around WEP. The MAC address restriction should be more than enough to stop my neighbours getting in.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hmm, I think you could be right with regard to the MAC Address, it would probably solve all my issues, think I will try this method tonight, thanks :)

5. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i have the same bridge and haven't got mine working either!
    I am using a 25ft cable at the mo!
    My router is a Netgear DG834G i was unable to get it working on my laptop! aaargh!!!

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I know others have had this working, it's even been reviewed as working with the Xbox.

My guess is that the Xbox couldn't see the bridge due to the wrong cable being used, and also due to the complexities of setting up WEP through it.

Going to try the MAC address route and see how fruitful it is, if it doesn't work, looks like I'll have to buy a replacement.

The Bridge doubles up as an access point, so I'm sure I'll find some use for it somewhere.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Did it work??!!?? Hell no!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Grrrr, useless. The Xbox STILL couldn't detect the device :thumbsdow :censored: , so I'm guessing it is just not supported :confused:

I've gone and ordered the Belkin bridge which is just that, a bridge, no funky Access Point/Bridge hybrid.

Good price from PC World online too £42.04 including delivery :eek: :clap: The BELKIN 54MBPS WIRELESS ETHERNET BRIDGE / GAMING ADAPTER (for some reason they are advertising it for £43.99, but when I added it to my basket and went to the checkout, a discount appeared that brought the price with delivery to the £42.04 mentioned earlier).

I have great wireless reception in my house, and rarely get dropouts (there is some new firmware for my wireless access point which I need to download which apparently improves this even more :D ). Just hope the new bridge works fine :)

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    WOOHOO!!! The Belkin one worked straight out of the box, didn't even need to web interface into it once I allowed its MAC addie :D

Poor show on Buffalos part. Anyway, working at Microsoft has its advantages, I'm taking the Buffalo unit to the head test guy at Xbox UK, see if he has any joy. Will report back so it can help any future buyers of this unit.

9. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I just got netgear stuff.

It cost me £150 to make my xbox and pc wireless but its reliable!

10. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Does anybody know if BT Voyager 2100 is compatible with Xbox live. not connecting wirelessly but still unsure whether or not this is a good options

Cheers :clap: