1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Xbox360_Junkie, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya people

I was just wondering if I could ask you guys a few questions regarding the initial set-up of the Xbox Live service!?

........................................................................................................

I have never physically owned an Xbox, but am (fingers crossed) going to acquire the Xbox 360 in the not too long distant future. By this time, i would like to be fit if that makes sense, in all the necessary areas, so when i upgrade from the Silver to Gold Xbox Live kit, i can start gaming online almost immediately.

........................................................................................................

At the moment, I currently have the following pieces of equipment that may, or may not help me in the setting up of Xbox Live:

NIC (Network Interface Card) which accompanies a single Ethernet Port.

Network, 4 Ethernet port Hub.

AOL BT voyager 105, USB ADSL Modem.

So, basically guys, what I want to ask you is...how do I set this up!? My Friends have tried to point me in the right direction by mentioning the following solutions:

<Solution 1> "Simply connect your Xbox 360 to your Ethernet port on your Network Interface Card. However, for this to work successfully, your computer will always have to be turned on".

What I don’t understand about this though is the modem issue; would I just leave my Modem connected to my laptop as it is? And things would work automatically!?

<Solution 2> "Connect your Xbox 360 to Ethernet port one of your Network hub, connect your Laptop to Ethernet port two of your Network Hub".

Again, what I don’t understand about this is the modem issue, do i just leave it as it is, connected to my Laptop via a USB connection.

Oh, and by the way, my modem only has two ports...A standard USB port and DSL phone line port, it contains no Ethernet Ports what so ever!

If anyone can help me, id appreciate it, I’m a little confused!

Many thanks

Regards

Jay :clap:

2. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    To run through your computer you would need to enable internet connection sharing. The simplest way would be to replace the hub with a router and connect the modem to the router, then connect the pc and the xbox to the other ports on the router.

You say that you have an AOL bt voyager. Does this mean that you are with AOL?

My friend is on AOL and can only use the service through the PC with connection sharing as he has to log into AOL to access the internet. However, he has said that they will be allowing Xbox to connect directly soon, in which case he will be going the router way too.

If you are with AOL, I would suggest that you might find things easier with a different provider as my mate keeps getting hassle, although they do seem to be improving.

3. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Bishman

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned I should change my hub for a router, a router that would accommodate ports for both my modem and laptop, plus the initial console.

Can you recommend a router by any chance, preferably one that’s not too expensive, seeing as though the Xbox 360, additional wireless controller, and upgrade to Xbox Live Gold is going to cost me a fortune anyway.

Regards

4. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Bishman, me again...

I've just been on the Xbox website and read an article on Router FAQ's...

They have recommended the following router:

BT Voyager 240 ADSL Router

This also has four Ethernet ports similar to my current hub; if I purchased this, would I simply be able to swap it with my current modem, hassle free!?

For a detailed specification of the router, you can visit the following link

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/cbx114

Cheers

Regards

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    There's a problem here in that your existing modem connects via USB and not ethernet. Standard routers need the modem to be connected by ethernet, so a standard router is no good to you. I was in your situation many moons ago, and the way I got around it was to buy a combined ADSL modem and router, which isn't much more expensive than a standard router. You can find some examples here.

I have to admit I'm not entirely sure if it's compatible with AOL however, someone on their service would have to answer that. If you do get one of these though, all you do is leave the modem/router on, and connect whatever you need to it - PC, laptop or Xbox (and eventually 360).

6. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I believe the BT Voyager 240 ADSL router is a modem aswell. Check out its specification on the following website:

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/cbx114

Regards

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I don't know enough about specific routers to be able to reccomend one to you. I have a belkin one that has given me no problems whatsoever. I can't suggest my one though as it's ethernet only.

*edit* I typed this ages ago then had to sort out a problem for someone, then went for a pee, then came back and submitted. That's why it seems a bit out of place in this thread now. :D

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I looked here for the BT voyager

http://www.voyager.bt.com/240/prodinfo.htm

It certainly seems to do everything you want and would be a one box solution. You haven't confirmed if you are definately on AOL though as this may be the only sticking point.

9. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Bishman...

Sorry...I am actually on AOL!

Was i right then in saying the BT Voyager 240 ADSL Router is in fact a modem aswell!?

Many thanks

10. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Not having seen one I can't give you my own personal 100% guarantee. However, looking at my link it says the following:

Which does say that it is a modem router, so sounds like an all singing and dancing box.

You still need to check with AOL though that this will be compatable. They are a strange outfit and you might still need to connect through your PC anyway. As I said before, my mate has said that you can soon connect with a router without the PC on, so it should be ok, but check with them to be certain. It might also depend on who you speak to as when he was playing me on live through AOL in the early days of them supporting it, there were still people posting here who had been told by customer support that it wasn't possible.

My one overriding piece of advice is still to ditch AOL as soon as possible. The only reason that you could possibly have to stay is if you have kids as I believe they provide some quite good content filters. Not sure on that though :D .

11. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark...

What ISP are you with...I dont want something to expensive per month

Regards

12. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm on cable with NTL, £24.99 monthly for a 2meg connection. They are changing their speeds again in the not too far future too. Apparently by the end of next year, their slowest speed will be 10 meg, with pricing affecting download limits.