Question Help wth Linn Axis turntable

heavypettying

Novice Member
Hello all,

Hoping you might be able to help with a tricky one. I've recently bought a Linn Axis turntable with the Akito arm and K9 cartridge. It was a decent price from a family friend, and I thought it would provide an upgrade from my Pro-Ject Debut ii.

I have found that the Linn gives a fuller, warmer sound than the Pro-Ject (as expected). Music sounds good. However, I have noticed these negatives:

Slight but noticeable distorion on many vocals.
Less detailed nuance in vocal perfomances. For example, on Neil Young's On The Beach, i like hearing the reverb on his voice - on the Linn his voice seems much fuller but the detail is lost.

At first I thought it may be a worn stylus, so I fitted a new AT95e. The problem persisted.

So I'm a bit stuck on where to go next. The Linn has got great review online, but I'm a bit reluctant to chuck money at it. Is it worth uprgading the cartidge to a Goldring 1042, or similar? Or should I admit defeat and sell it? I thought about upgrading the preamp, but that seems to sound ok with the my old Pro-Ject.

My current setup is:

Linn Axis
NAD PP2 preamp
Roksan Kandy mkii amp
Dali Menuet speakers

I've been testing with both my old 70s LPs and brand news pressings.

Any advice massively appreciated

Thanks

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom