1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Write dvd from handycam?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dustybryn, Jul 4, 2005.

1. dustybryn

dustybryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a Sony HC22 mini dv handycam which has a docking station and USB connection to my PC. Ideally I would like to write DVD's from my camera but I believe you need a sony Viao with 'click to DVD' and a special connecting lead. Is this the only way I can write to DVD? It does allow me to write vcd's straight to cd but unfortunately my dvd player doesn't play vcd. Is there any way I can convert vcd to dvd? Can anyone suggest any other way round this? Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!

Many Thanks,
    Dust

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony HC22 like *most* MiniDV cameras has an 'i-link' (aka "firewire", IEEE1394, DV port etc.) and it is this you should be using to transfer the video via a firewire cable to your PC for editing, do not try to use USB to transfer the video.

If you do not have 'firewire' ports on your PC then read THIS THREAD

3. dustybryn

dustybryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I've just ordered the cable etc. mentioned in the link you gave me. Is this all I need or do I need to buy some software for my p.c. to do the dvd burn?

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,186
    You will need some software - I'm using Nero Vison Express which is OK and very cheap. I bought it with my OEM DVD Burner from Ebuyer but I doubt they police that very carefully.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=74818
    Dont be tempted by the slightly cheaper version which doesn't include the DVD burning plugin!

There are other better more expensive packages out there - check the threads here.

I also got my Firewire card from Ebuyer (this one) which was cheap and easy to fit. The only problem I had was it didn't work in the first PCI slot I tried (some kind of hardware conflict) moved it down a a slot and it's fine. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60573)

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dustybryn - with the card and cable I pointed you to you should also receive Ulead VideoStudio on disc, you need that programme to capture the video from your camera, then edit your video and add titles and music etc, you can also use it to create a DVD.