Help with Yamaha AS500 power management

philvella

I'm thinking about getting this amp. It will live under the stairs (huge so no ventilation problems) so the auto power off sounds like a handy feature. Can anyone tell me if the amp will auto switch on again when there is an input signal or will I need to manually press the power button / use an IR repeater? (if I need an IR repeater then there is no advantage over a NAD 326 which is my other option to power MA BX5 speakers).

I'm also interested in other suggestions of how I can put amps into standby remotely as it won't be regularly used during the week.

Thanks

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I don't know about the Auto-On aspect, but with my Yamaha amp (RX-797 stereo) the remote control turns the amp from On to Standby and back. The power on/off button on the front of the amp truly turns the power off. If the On/Off button is set to Off, the remote will not turn the amp on.

Though that does not seem to be what you are saying. Though I confess I'm not sure what you are saying.

If you will store all your equipment under the stair, out of access tot he signal from the remote control, then you need a remote control extender. These are RF (radio) devices so they aren't blocked by walls and so forth. The Infrared signal from the remote is converted to radio transferred to the receiving unit where is is flashed as Infrared again, and thereby sends the appropriate command to the equipment. The command could be On/Off, Volume Up/Down, or any other remote signal.

Here are a couple of examples, though by no means the only possibilities -

Keene Retail Ltd

INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL EXTENDER

Also, Logitech, who make extremely good Universal Remote Controls, also make some that have this RF remote room capability built in -

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/5874

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6174

I have a more basic low end Logitech Harmony Remote and absolutely love it. To program it, you connect it to your computer, go to the Harmony website and tell it what equipment you have, and it automatically programs the remote for you. You can even do custom programming. For example, I copied the volume control function from my stereo amp over to the volume control for the TV. Makes programming and using the remote very easy.

These are made for people who have large equipment racks of AV equipment that they don't want to have in the home cinema room. These remote extender allow the equipment to be out of sight, and still accessible by remote.

Again, because I'm not sure I understand the question, I don't know if that answers it. If it doesn't try to rephrase the question and we will take it from there.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

philvella

Sorry, wasn't being very clear.

I'm looking for an AS500 owner to tell me how the auto power function works - does it auto on too?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I see you've still have no answer.

Again, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to. But most amps that have an Auto_On output connection simply send a pulse out that signal line to switch on other devices like a Subwoofer.

So, as an example, when you turn the Amp ON, it sends the Auto-On signal which is received by the Subwoofer which then turns ON. While I suppose it could be used for other purposes, automatically turning the Subwoofer ON is probably the most common.

I couldn't find an owner's manual on the AS500, but a look at the manual for the AS700 indicates that it doesn't have this Auto-On feature.

I'm also not aware that any of the amps have an Auto-Sleep mode similar to that found on computers. If this is what you mean, can you point me to a reference indicating the existance of this feature?

If this is not what you are referring to, then you need to explain yourself.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

patton

Hello how the power management works is after 8 hours if no signal is fed through it turns itself into standby mode. hope this helps...

PIEP

"POWER MANAGEMENT switch
Enables or disables the automatic power down function.
When the automatic power down function is enabled, this
unit will automatically switch to standby mode if no
operations are performed for 8 hours."

It sounds like a PC stand by behaviour, but with no auto power on ;

- and what do you think about the sound of this amp? isn't it to much
present on the medium and/or high freq.? thanks :)

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
PAge 7 of the English User's Manual -

" *POWER MANAGEMENT Switch -
Enables or disables the automatic power down function. When the automatic power down function is enabled, this unit will automatically switch to standby mode if no operations are performed for 8 hours."

This is the same as pushing the ON/OFF button on the remote control. The amp goes into Standby, and to turn it back on, you have to press the ON/OFF button again.

So, no, there is no Auto ON mechanism, you have to push the button on the remote.

Steve/bluewizard

PIEP

what do you think about the sound of this amp? isn't it to much
present on the medium and/or high freq.? thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom