Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

help with xp installation

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by reevesy, Oct 22, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    hi all,
    have just bit the bullet and installed winxp,i carried out a new installation and now it seems i've got 2 operating systems on my pc.
    on start up i'm asked to choose if i want windows or win xp home (i'm using 98 at the mo).
    i've clicked on xp and got it up and running,reinstalling my internet settings and was then thinking of installing all my other stuff when a look in windows files revealed all my old 98 se folders and bits are there,but not in xp?.
    i thought i'd overwritten all this and had started again with xp as a new os but now it seems i've got 2 operating systems.
    now i'm wondering if i should leave it as it is and if the're are any advantages to this,or unistall the 98 se side of things and if i should whats the easiest way to do it? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    cheers in advance

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like you have installed both OS's on the same disk partition which is a recipe for disaster!

If however you have put XP on a different partition/disk drive then you will be fine running both.

Dave

3. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    any ideas about a easy way to sort it out?

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    there is no 'easy way' really...

If you no longer want 98se, your best bet is to reinstall Xp again, but make sure you format the disk when prompted during the beginning of XP setup.

Format the disk as NTFS, then you'll have no worries from win98 from that point on...

-note, on first booting XP afterwards, you may still get the boot options menu, but this is effectively a leftover and can be easily disabled if you do get it..

post back if you need a hand with that, if&when.. :)