Help with wireless dongles

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by pabulous, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pabulous

pabulous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi, I'm looking for help with my BT Home Hub. I use a USB Dongle to connect to it wirelessly as my computer can't do it alone. I was just wondering if the speed is affected by the dongle, and if so, should I get one that is advertised at "300mpbs" rather than the typical "54mbps" (I was thinking of getting this one.) I'd just like to give the speed a little kick for things like YouTube and streaming videos. If you can make heads and tails of my post I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thank you. :thumbsup:

2. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It depends on the version of the Homehub you've got. If you've got a Homehub 2.0 then getting the card may improve your wireless speed, depending on other factors such as distance from the Homehub, wall thickness and composition, any other wireless network around your location etc.,.

If the Homehub is an earlier model then they only run at 54Mbps maximum so you'd gain no speed advantage.

One other thing to consider if you do buy a card, generally you get better reception from an internal card. PCI for a Desktop or PCMCIA for a laptop, rather than a USB dongle.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Changing the speed of your Local Area Network (54MB/s) is unlikely to have the slightest effect on those anyway because they are gated by the speed of your Wide Area Network (Broadband) - that is to say 'Up to 8Mb/s.

I suggest you try to improve that speed by reading the many threads here on how to improve your internal telephone wiring.