Question Help with Wireless 4k TV/Sky set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by StevieO, Jun 30, 2015.

1. StevieO

StevieO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All - First timer on here so go easy on me !!

I've just had an extension built, approx 6x4mtrs with an open plan kitchen to the side. I'm planning to install a 55" or 65" 4k TV (undecided on type at this stage) on the wall with sound-bar (most likely Yamaha YSP-2500) directly underneath & sub the opposite end of the room (6mtrs away). The room will be used as a dining / chill out room. I don't want a load a cables running down walls & stupidly didn't channel out the walls before the room was finished.

My plan is to wait for sky to bring out their 4k box later this year & then find a 4k wireless transmitter / receiver which will allow me to conceal the sky box in a cupboard (and keep the Mrs sweet in the process !)

Does this sound feasible ? If not does anybody have any better advice on how to install, that they could pass on that avoids lots of cabling or chasing out walls !?!?

Thanks in advance
    Steve

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

So many issues.

The Sky box as i understand was mistakenly announced for this year, with no real date. it may end up being the same as the netflix service and only internet streamed and not via satellite. Sky are aware that the future is streaming

You will never get a true 4k wireless transmitter in the near future, 1080p is tricky and unreliable.

If they do appear they will be very expensive

I dont mean to be a doommonger but even if you cable you cant guarantee compatibility over 8M with HDMI cables.

Stick with 1080p, sky at the moment is only 1080i!!

Take the plunge and run 3 x Cat6 cables however hard it is, then your options open up now and in the future

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    4K - don't get overly excited about that term! What you have to be aware of is that many '4K' resolution TV's are not going to be fully compatible with the New UHD Blu-ray standard so be careful about comparability if that is on your shopping list!

SKY - as Seb says you'll be waiting a while on anything better than 1080i, which also means ensuring your '4K' TV is good at up converting 1080i if that is going to be the majority of your viewing!

Wireless HD - as Seb says is a nightmare at 1080p, I'm sure some nutter will already be sticking a '4K' badge on some piece of budget tat but best to avoid that headache and stick with wires for HDMI.

YSP - the Sub needs to be close to the Speakerbar, preferably on the same wall as the TV and Speakerbar otherwise the bass will sound disjointed from the Mid and HF.

YSP - ignoring the audio issues I suspect at 6m you would require to use a wired rather than wireless connection between the Sub and the Speakerbar.

YSP - is unlikely to deliver any form of Surround effects in an Open plan area. They sound good in 2-beam or 3-beam mode or there may be other stereo systems you could consider.

Joe

4. StevieO

StevieO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies Seb / Joe

Looks like a re-think is needed ....

So given the room size & open plan kitchen space I've mentioned, how would you go about laying things out ? I'm not keen to start channelling walls out but will do if that's the best way to avoid wires (I have builders in still, so now's the time to get that sorted). My mrs really doesn't want the sky box to be seen if possible (wants the minimalist look) so I was thinking about concealing in a cupboard & using some of magic eye type device.

I presume a 4K TV is a better bet than 1080p for future proofing ?

I don't want loads of speakers everywhere, a soundbar & bass speaker is sufficient (I can put the bass closer to the bar if that improves the sound). Would you suggest something other than the Yamaha I mentioned previously ?

All help appreciated as this isn't my area of expertise !

Steve

Ps - I've read BT are bringing out a 4K box in August, would it be an idea to switch to BT as oppose to Sky ? My plan is to use the TV mainly for football & movies.

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    That will really depend what you are intending to use it with, a TV labelled as 4K may not work with new BluRay UHD (4k) devices unless it supports HDCp2.2. Its a minefield

I have not seen the spec of BT's 4K box as yet so maybe better to wait to see what they are and actually what it offers.

To locate the Skybox (or BT box) in a cupboard you would run 2 (may as well make it 3) Cat 6 cables from the cupboard to the TV, then use HDBaseT HDMI over Cat6 extenders to carry the signal. This will also give you IR control of the Skybox from the tV location

HDBaseT Extender Set with IR POC and 4K2K Support

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    4K - again you are being sucked in by the hype :)

UK Broadcasts - are 1080i with a lot of folk watching content originally broadcast as 576i being up converted by their set top box to fill the screen on their FullHD (1080p) or HD Rready Display.

UK '4K' Broadcasts - if you are lucky you may find 1 or 2% of your viewing will be native 4K the rest will be 576p and 1080i being up converted in the '4K' box.

4K Streaming - if you have fast enough Broadband could deliver a high percentage of your Movie viewing.

4K on Disc - is where the potential for problems occurs with a lot of today's '4K' hardware, the Ultra HD BD standards have only recently been announced and don't make comfortable reading for a lot of 4K early adopters.

Joe