Help with Win laptop.

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Dave Bartram, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Guys, posted this in the laptops forum but thought It might be worth a try here too as although it's a Windows laptop a lot of you guys are pretty clued up with XP as well as OSX :) I know I should have bought her a Macbook and I did offer but she wanted this to save some wedge. Anyway....

Bought Wife an Advent 4211 last September, today she boots it up and it dies...Back screen and the message:

Boot MGR is missing
    Press any key to restart

After pressing a key it just repeats the same message. Took it back to PC World and they tell me a should have created a USB recovery stick from a partition on the drive, she wasn't told this at time of purchase and wasn't prompted to do so when first booted up. They can evidentially sell her a recovery CD that she will have to transfer to a 2GB memory stick to try and recover the system. This will cost about £45. But I have read that because if the error this may not even work so loathed to shell out £45 just to find it doesn't work. I'm not PC savvy at all so a bit clueless to what to do. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

2. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Hi Dave

Your first problem is that you have no recovery disks and no original XP disk to even try and repair the problem (if you had an XP disk, I could talk you through the recovery process).

The 'bootmgr' error can be quite common and fixing it can be a doddle, yet equally difficult. Vista made it a lot easier to recover from such errors.

I take it that when you turn the PC on, there is no option to go into an Advent system recovery (normally this type of system would pop up when your PC has passed POST by asking you to press an 'F' key)?

If not and you have no disks, then I don't know what else to suggest?

Your data is still in tact and can easily be recovered by taking your HD out and connecting it to a USB caddy.

3. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hello mate, thanks for the reply.

I do have an XP Disk (old one I had from my previous Windows PC) is that any good? No CD drive though.

The only option(s), by tapping F11 I get is to go into the Bios or select a device to boot from.

There's not really any data she's concerned with, photo's etc stored on a USB stick, it's just the inconvenience of not having her laptop which she spends a fair amount of time on.

Dave