Help with what Atmos Ceiling Speakers to get?

Ok that makes sense so if I install them on the wall if the bottom of the Speaker is in line at ear hight would that be about right? (I know the manual say higher but with the Atmos you make 100% sense)

Ideally if I'm going to get the ceiling speakers I would love 4, makes sense to get it all done with the mess it entails at the same time, as I said to Gibbsy if I bring the sofa out a bit to about 60cm and put the rears 50cm from the back wall and then according to the Dolby guide put the fronts about 70cm away from my knee position surely this could work 😀 The white Silver FX is now apparently a win win at that price 😊

Sounds about right and remember leave about 1feet at the left hand side to that side wall so FX speaker isn´t tucked in corner. Side wall would have been even better, but sadly you have stairs at the other side and nice clock on wall so that´s no go.

Yes for sure .4 with atmos, i wouldn´t even bother with the .2 after hearing the .4! :)

Sounds about right and remember leave about 1feet at the left hand side to that side wall so FX speaker isn´t tucked in corner. Side wall would have been even better, but sadly you have stairs at the other side and nice clock on wall so that´s no go.

Yes for sure .4 with atmos, i wouldn´t even bother with the .2 after hearing the .4! :)
Excellent going to look forward to getting all this setup over the next few weeks, thank you so much for for help 😊 can on the top of your head recommend any speaker models for the ceiling? I've been told best no smaller than 8"

Excellent going to look forward to getting all this setup over the next few weeks, thank you so much for for help 😊 can on the top of your head recommend any speaker models for the ceiling? I've been told best no smaller than 8"

How much they can cost pair?

How much they can cost pair?
Well I was originally having a budget of around £500 for one pair, I'm not even sure my wife would let me go more but at a max probably £750-£800 for all 4, if you can get a really good sound for cheaper even better.

So I got the MA Silver FXs for £299 very happy with that but I am now trying to decide between the MA c280-idc vs Kef CI200QR ceiling Atmos, can anyone recommend the best ones and if either of these are any good?

So I got the MA Silver FXs for £299 very happy with that but I am now trying to decide between the MA c280-idc vs Kef CI200QR ceiling Atmos, can anyone recommend the best ones and if either of these are any good?

Both should be really good (feedback) especially as you got the 8" versions which can take more beating! Monitor Audio recommends the IDC version for Atmos. As you went with the FX speakers i would lean toward C280-IDC so you will have all the effect channels with very similar sound signature. Kefs would surely work too, but for me it would feel perhaps little odd to mix three brands..

This shop has lowest price:

There is also the C380-IDC which has RST drivers with slightly higher power handling and deeper bass extension. Again lowest price here:

Both should be really good (feedback) especially as you got the 8" versions which can take more beating! Monitor Audio recommends the IDC version for Atmos. As you went with the FX speakers i would lean toward C280-IDC so you will have all the effect channels with very similar sound signature. Kefs would surely work too, but for me it would feel perhaps little odd to mix three brands..

This shop has lowest price:

There is also the C380-IDC which has RST drivers with slightly higher power handling and deeper bass extension. Again lowest price here:

Oh poo worried now as Ive just ordered the Kef CI200QR x4, Managed to get them for about £220 each instead of £320 each which I thought was quite good 😐 (one new on eBay, one an open box and two discounted) do you think they will be ok? My front speakers are (when they arrive 😀) are Kef R3 and RC2, the Kef R3s was a good deal as they were also on offer with free Kef S2 Stands.

Oh poo worried now as Ive just ordered the Kef CI200QR x4, Managed to get them for about £220 each instead of £320 each which I thought was quite good 😐 (one new on eBay, one an open box and two discounted) do you think they will be ok? My front speakers are (when they arrive 😀) are Kef R3 and RC2, the Kef R3s was a good deal as they were also on offer with free Kef S2 Stands.

Should be good then!

Here are the optimal angles by dolby:

Thank you 😀 I shall print that off for the installer, I know the rear ceilings are going to be closeish to the back wall but I'm sure with a bit of tinkering in the settings in the AV receiver should hopefully make them good, just thought x4 and 8" in the end as I may of regretted it if I only went for the two and the smaller size. Just need them to all be delivered then installed, can't wait!!! 😁 I really appreciate all your help and advice! Next will be possibly the subwoofer but that will be a later project lol

Thank you 😀 I shall print that off for the installer, I know the rear ceilings are going to be closeish to the back wall but I'm sure with a bit of tinkering in the settings in the AV receiver should hopefully make them good, just thought x4 and 8" in the end as I may of regretted it if I only went for the two and the smaller size. Just need them to all be delivered then installed, can't wait!!! 😁 I really appreciate all your help and advice! Next will be possibly the subwoofer but that will be a later project lol

Now that you are on roll let`s look the new sub or two right away for you! 😄 Which sub you have now?

Now that you are on roll let`s look the new sub or two right away for you! 😄 Which sub you have now?
Haha why not at least I can make a note of it and get it when good, so at the moment I have Q Acoustics Q B12, I think with my room size and wife would possibly have to keep to one.

Haha why not at least I can make a note of it and get it when good, so at the moment I have Q Acoustics Q B12, I think with my room size and wife would possibly have to keep to one.

Naturally something from SVS / Arendal / Monoprice would be worth looking unless wife would prefer some wood veneer finish to suit room decor then example BK Monolith Plus (FF/DF) could be nice one sub solution without breaking bank to bring more impact and especially stronger low end. Not sure what you crave and how the QA sub feels now. There is many things to consider from price, size, finish etc. The Nad T778 Dirac doesn`t have individual settings for two subs so two smaller subs equidistant from listener could be option like front corners, but is that going to give best response then is another story and it would cost 1600£ minium. There is good deals around 700-800£ with Monoprice 12 THX / SVS PC2000 if considering one large sub.

Naturally something from SVS / Arendal / Monoprice would be worth looking unless wife would prefer some wood veneer finish to suit room decor then example BK Monolith Plus (FF/DF) could be nice one sub solution without breaking bank to bring more impact and especially stronger low end. Not sure what you crave and how the QA sub feels now. There is many things to consider from price, size, finish etc. The Nad T778 Dirac doesn`t have individual settings for two subs so two smaller subs equidistant from listener could be option like front corners, but is that going to give best response then is another story and it would cost 1600£ minium. There is good deals around 700-800£ with Monoprice 12 THX / SVS PC2000 if considering one large sub.

I'm always hearing great things about SVS and BK and did actually look at a coupe of the SVS ones, the pc2000 looks very very nice (I do like the black gloss) do you know if down fireing subwoofers are as good? I ask as it would be great to have something where the front is protected or even something with a metal grill if that exists, however if it comprises sound maybe not. The QA does fill the room which is adequate especially more so than the bowers and wilkins asw608 I had a couple of years ago but would like that little extra. Do you have a preference out of SVS, Monoprice and BK? If I could upgrade around the Max of £800 bonus.

Last edited:
SVS PB13U comes with metal grille if i remember correct. This is slightly over your budget.

There should be coming new V2 version of this for Monoprice UK so if you got the space and the price is still under 1k£ then it`s hard to beat it. The old model is likely sold out not sure you could ask from Monoprice UK.

New one:

PC2000 is solid choice and i can`t think of negative things with it. The price was 100£ less couple weeks ago so not sure why they raised prices.

AVF reviewed the new Pro version:

SVS PB13U comes with metal grille if i remember correct. This is slightly over your budget.

There should be coming new V2 version of this for Monoprice UK so if you got the space and the price is still under 1k£ then it`s hard to beat it. The old model is likely sold out not sure you could ask from Monoprice UK.

New one:

PC2000 is solid choice and i can`t think of negative things with it. The price was 100£ less couple weeks ago so not sure why they raised prices.

Thank you so much, I'll will have a read of the specs, have to be honest I really like the PC2000 😀 it's just different to look.

New one:

Hi Gasp sorry to bother you again (you've got me looking at subwoofers now lol) I've decided to sell the qb12 and am now seriously looking at subs but it's driving me mad, with one option I had was getting two subs, Or the other option was just spending a bit more on one. One of the ones I've seen is the SVS sb3000 just one (the pb200 was just too big) also seen a rel HT 1205 maybe two, SVS sb1000 pro maybe X2, I did like the Arendel 1961 1s but the way it's designed the speaker would be fireing a couple of inches aways in to the side of my TV unit (if you know what I mean with its design). My setup is mainly used for music and I think from the photo I put on you can get an idea of the size of my room, also do you think any of the above would be a good upgrade in the qb12? any suggestions advise would be greatly appreciated, thank you 😀

Hi Gasp sorry to bother you again (you've got me looking at subwoofers now lol) I've decided to sell the qb12 and am now seriously looking at subs but it's driving me mad, with one option I had was getting two subs, Or the other option was just spending a bit more on one. One of the ones I've seen is the SVS sb3000 just one (the pb200 was just too big) also seen a rel HT 1205 maybe two, SVS sb1000 pro maybe X2, I did like the Arendel 1961 1s but the way it's designed the speaker would be fireing a couple of inches aways in to the side of my TV unit (if you know what I mean with its design). My setup is mainly used for music and I think from the photo I put on you can get an idea of the size of my room, also do you think any of the above would be a good upgrade in the qb12? any suggestions advise would be greatly appreciated, thank you 😀

1961 1S requires 5-10cm clearance for the driver the cab is very narrow. I would consider dual subs if that would be possible and you can spend 1500-1600£ then. You had new speakers coming, what if you push them little bit forward and have two subs in each front corners or very close? We could have a look with program of simulated room response, but i`m not sure how effective it is as you have open stairs going up. Would need to know room dimensions. Did you say the couch won´t be moved? One sub could have potentially placed in the left hand rear corner away from the opening (door) and second sub at front right corner (diagonally opposite). Or perhaps side wall near the front wall opposite sides, but wife might not like them to be so visible.

1961 1S requires 5-10cm clearance for the driver the cab is very narrow. I would consider dual subs if that would be possible and you can spend 1500-1600£ then. You had new speakers coming, what if you push them little bit forward and have two subs in each front corners or very close? We could have a look with program of simulated room response, but i`m not sure how effective it is as you have open stairs going up. Would need to know room dimensions. Did you say the couch won´t be moved? One sub could have potentially placed in the left hand rear corner away from the opening (door) and second sub at front right corner (diagonally opposite). Or perhaps side wall near the front wall opposite sides, but wife might not like them to be so visible.
I do really like the look of the Arendel 1961 1s I would have about 42cm leeway both sides of the TV unit (probably a 7cm gap between speaker and TV unit/wall) other wise one could go to the edge of the wall near the sofa end. Behind the sofa possibly but would be firing in to the back although possibly would have a 5cm clearing would that muffle the sound? I used to have my sub in the front corner firing out which sounded good.
Because both of these subs fire at the side would I feel the sound is not coming towards me being muffled by either the wall or TV unit or are they kind of designed that way.
Would the one firing at the wall (which is plasterboard) make it vibrate? I've added a photo of the front of my room with some possible markings where the subs could go and a floorplan, what would you say the advantages are over the 1961 1s and like the SVS sb3000? The cost is definitely good, is the £799 the total price each? Would they be good for music? The Length of my Room is 5.3m x 4m

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_123905744.MP (1).jpg
    PXL_20220301_123905744.MP (1).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 26
  • floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 29
I do really like the look of the Arendel 1961 1s I would have about 42cm leeway both sides of the TV unit (probably a 7cm gap between speaker and TV unit/wall) other wise one could go to the edge of the wall near the sofa end. Behind the sofa possibly but would be firing in to the back although possibly would have a 5cm clearing would that muffle the sound? I used to have my sub in the front corner firing out which sounded good.
Because both of these subs fire at the side would I feel the sound is not coming towards me being muffled by either the wall or TV unit or are they kind of designed that way.
Would the one firing at the wall (which is plasterboard) make it vibrate? I've added a photo of the front of my room with some possible markings where the subs could go and a floorplan, what would you say the advantages are over the 1961 1s and like the SVS sb3000? The cost is definitely good, is the £799 the total price each? Would they be good for music? The Length of my Room is 5.3m x 4m

I don`t know will you get the best response with two subs at the front wall which also narrows quite a bit. With the NAD T778 you need to place them equidistant from listener as you can´t set the levels/distance (delay) separate for each from what i understand. So in that sense the front corners should be ok, but will you get best response like that is question mark. I would have wanted to try diagonally opposite front/rear, but i think you need miniDSP 2x4HD device then to optimize the dual subs plus usb mic, laptop and hours of learning.

Shame the room has so odd shapes and also the listening/viewing distance is quite horrid and width making you to keep the LCR close each other. 1961 1S is comparable to SB2000 Pro which it also "beat" in nordic subwoofer group test, 1961 1S was picked best sounding sub on music and had the strongest low end which is great for movies in mind. Still it ain`t going to shook your room like ported 1961 1V would with the sloth port open! There is link somewhere in Arendal site under reviews. There is already lot of feedback for this mode and we have quite clear picture it´s one of the best sealed sub at this price. 799£ shipped to UK. 60day buy&try, but returning will cost ~80£ i believe. You have to send email to Arendal about the distances to objects and the wall. It should be ok from what i have seen here owners doing, but i would still make sure asking from the company direct with pictures. Arendal has great customer service, fast replies and ton of knowledge especially if you get to talk with Thomas.

[email protected]

Another option is SVS SB2000 Pro (x2) but at 2000£ and in best scenario you get -10% discount so 1800£, but still 200£ more than 1961 1S! Of course if you choose to go with just one sub then the SB3000 is there, but also one ex-demo REL HT/1508 is available for 1360£.

I don`t know will you get the best response with two subs at the front wall which also narrows quite a bit. With the NAD T778 you need to place them equidistant from listener as you can´t set the levels/distance (delay) separate for each from what i understand. So in that sense the front corners should be ok, but will you get best response like that is question mark. I would have wanted to try diagonally opposite front/rear, but i think you need miniDSP 2x4HD device then to optimize the dual subs plus usb mic, laptop and hours of learning.

Shame the room has so odd shapes and also the listening/viewing distance is quite horrid and width making you to keep the LCR close each other. 1961 1S is comparable to SB2000 Pro which it also "beat" in nordic subwoofer group test, 1961 1S was picked best sounding sub on music and had the strongest low end which is great for movies in mind. Still it ain`t going to shook your room like ported 1961 1V would with the sloth port open! There is link somewhere in Arendal site under reviews. There is already lot of feedback for this mode and we have quite clear picture it´s one of the best sealed sub at this price. 799£ shipped to UK. 60day buy&try, but returning will cost ~80£ i believe. You have to send email to Arendal about the distances to objects and the wall. It should be ok from what i have seen here owners doing, but i would still make sure asking from the company direct with pictures. Arendal has great customer service, fast replies and ton of knowledge especially if you get to talk with Thomas.

[email protected]

Another option is SVS SB2000 Pro (x2) but at 2000£ and in best scenario you get -10% discount so 1800£, but still 200£ more than 1961 1S! Of course if you choose to go with just one sub then the SB3000 is there, but also one ex-demo REL HT/1508 is available for 1360£.
Thank you for all your help not sure if I've done the right thing but although I really liked 1961 I was a bit worried at first about the direction it fired and when adding the customs and tax etc it was almost coming to £1000 (I did contact Arendal and they were very helpful and got back to me immediately, so hats off for that) so then I thought maybe going for the higher model the 1723 but it was out of stock untill may which was annoying and I'm impatient lol. Then I was thinking as you just said X2 svs sb2000 but thought I may regret not paying the extra for the sb3000, so today managed to bag one a tad cheaper (not a lot) for £1299 with looking at adding another shortly if needed, that model seems to have really good reviews and believe it goes down as low as possible for a sealed but the added benefit of a metal grill which I really wanted incase my cat takes a like to it 😂 that was another worry with the Arendals or most to be honest. Will just have to play around with it for the best position, it's definitely got to be a step up from the QB12. 🤞 But again thank you for all your advise just can't wait to start putting everything together.

Thank you for all your help not sure if I've done the right thing but although I really liked 1961 I was a bit worried at first about the direction it fired and when adding the customs and tax etc it was almost coming to £1000 (I did contact Arendal and they were very helpful and got back to me immediately, so hats off for that) so then I thought maybe going for the higher model the 1723 but it was out of stock untill may which was annoying and I'm impatient lol. Then I was thinking as you just said X2 svs sb2000 but thought I may regret not paying the extra for the sb3000, so today managed to bag one a tad cheaper (not a lot) for £1299 with looking at adding another shortly if needed, that model seems to have really good reviews and believe it goes down as low as possible for a sealed but the added benefit of a metal grill which I really wanted incase my cat takes a like to it 😂 that was another worry with the Arendals or most to be honest. Will just have to play around with it for the best position, it's definitely got to be a step up from the QB12. 🤞 But again thank you for all your advise just can't wait to start putting everything together.

Did you confirm from Arendal the pricing to UK? VAT and shipping is included for the price. 200£ extra seems high, but maybe there has been some change that i`m not aware.

Congrats for the SB3000! It should hold it´s own rather good even against the 2k£ SB4000. You can play around with the position (run Dirac again if you move it), but as i said your receiver is bit limited for setting dual subs optimally if one is behind you and other one is 5,5m away. However if they go on front wall both then should be ok, but how does the response look then. I think you can get some idea running Dirac in those spots and looking the before graphs is there big dips. The after graph is simulated not true.

Did you confirm from Arendal the pricing to UK? VAT and shipping is included for the price. 200£ extra seems high, but maybe there has been some change that i`m not aware.

Congrats for the SB3000! It should hold it´s own rather good even against the 2k£ SB4000. You can play around with the position (run Dirac again if you move it), but as i said your receiver is bit limited for setting dual subs optimally if one is behind you and other one is 5,5m away. However if they go on front wall both then should be ok, but how does the response look then. I think you can get some idea running Dirac in those spots and looking the before graphs is there big dips. The after graph is simulated not true.
Yes your right the shipping and the vat was included it was extra for the import tax but I did that via the gov.uk site to check up so I may of slightly done something wrong. Yes a bit limited with the t778 on subs so if I do get another most likely have both at the front left and right otherwise I don't think it will setup properly (for my OCD it would match and look right lol) Definitely got to do the Dirac again which is a slight pain as every speaker will be different the only thing I'm unsure of us what to set the speaker crossovers for the fronts, centre, surround and Atmos (I'm sure someone recommend 80hz but not sure if every speaker should be set at that, no idea lol)

What you got R3 and R2c coming with FXs (?)as surrounds and also the 8" Kef ceiling speakers. 80-100hz region should be fine!

What you got R3 and R2c coming with FXs (?)as surrounds and also the 8" Kef ceiling speakers. 80-100hz region should be fine!
Yes, would you keep to about 80hz for all of them? Am I right in thinking the crossover means if you set at 80hz any sound 80hz and under is sent to the subwoofer? Had a look at my settings for my old setup and the front Atmos upfirers (chora 826-d) were set at 110hz, that must of been too high! (Sorry to sound a pain, you have been immensely helpful as always when I read posts on here 😃)

Yes, but it`s not hard cut. It´s perfectly fine to start with 80-100hz as all speakers are fairly capable to play below 80hz, but as you have only one sub it may locate easier. Play around and listen. I don´t know how easy it´s to change things with Dirac. For the upfiring the recommendation by Dolby was ~150hz. However now that you have large overhead ceiling speakers you don`t need to go that high!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom