Help with what 50in Pioneer to buy please

Renton

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a PDP-435XDE which I've been very happy with over the last few years. However that's moving up to the bedroom to make way for a 50 in the lounge.

I've not really kept up with the 'plasma scene' recently and since looking back into it, I'm a little confused as to what to go for.

As far as brands go, I want to stay loyal to Pioneer, as I was very happy with the 43.
But what's the difference between all the different 50in models? there's a 508, a 5080, XD, OD, LX, SX... help?! What one should I buy?!

Or is there a 9th gen coming out soon that I should sit tight for?

Many thanks in advance for any help

I've got a PDP-435XDE which I've been very happy with over the last few years. However that's moving up to the bedroom to make way for a 50 in the lounge.

I've not really kept up with the 'plasma scene' recently and since looking back into it, I'm a little confused as to what to go for.

As far as brands go, I want to stay loyal to Pioneer, as I was very happy with the 43.
But what's the difference between all the different 50in models? there's a 508, a 5080, XD, OD, LX, SX... help?! What one should I buy?!

Or is there a 9th gen coming out soon that I should sit tight for?

Many thanks in advance for any help

With the 8th gen screens, the XD series is HDReady, LX full HD panels. XD are around £1400 cheaper than the LX series.

9th gen coming soon - June/July by all accounts - full HD only. Pricing is at the moment abest guess, but sounds like around the same or less than current LX models. Supposedly similar processing to current 8th gen, screen is supposedly capable of higher contrast ratio and darker blacks, but no one has really seen them to compare side by side yet.

If you can afford around 3k for a 8th gen full HD model, I'd wait for the 9th gen to come out. If you can only afford ~£1500-1800 for a HD ready one, get one now as they won't be replacing them.

Cheers for the info :smashin:

Think I'll go for the cheaper £1500-£1800 option. No doubt full HD ones will be costing that in a couple of years time...

Last question, what's the difference between a 508 and a 5080?

The 508 has Intelligent Brightness Control, Home Gallery, ISF Calibration Ready, Multiscreen Options (PiP/PaP), USB port and some audio out ports to allow a 5.1 speaker setup to be connected.
The 5080 is missing this lot.
The pioneer site has a full listing of the differences
>>>LINK<<<

I'm trying to get John Lewis to PM a tot court road shop for £1,600. This way I'd get there 5 year guarentee and customer service. Well worth the piece of mind for £75 IMO. :thumbsup:

Just need them to agree it. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom