1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with what 37" model, Philips 37PF5520D,Sharp LC37P50E,Panasonic TH37PE50WAL

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by priceless, Sep 22, 2005.

1. priceless

priceless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Wasn't sure where to post this one but i think its best here... Like many others i'm trying to decide on what model to go for..

I'm looking for a 37", i currently just have terrestial but will definatly be going to FreeView, possibly Sky. Tv will be used to watch general tv, sport and films. What set suits my needs best?

These are the 37" models i have been looking at, any feedback on these is welcome and any suggestions of other sets and where to purchase them from would be great.

Philips 37PF5520D - LCD
    Sharp LC37P50E - LCD
    Panasonic TH37PE50WAL - Plasma

Thanks in advance

2. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to be honest, id go for a 37 inch plasma, hi def, think if u get a 37 inch lcd youl only be disapointed.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    What about the 37" JVC excellent reviews on this t.v.
    Toshiba 37WLT58 released date in two weeks time - should be a great t.v.
    Hitachi have just announced a 37" t.v. due in the shops anytime - again this should be a great t.v. Or you could go for the Samsung LE40R51 very impressive.

4. priceless

priceless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like i'll be waiting again... One day i will get a new TV :)

Am i right in thinking a plasma will perform better on terrestrial tv than an LCD? Which performs better on Freeview?

Can someone clear this up for me... HDMI and DVI... Does HDMI contain video and audio, and DVI just video?

If i have that correct, then whats the point of HDMI, because if you have a surround sound system, you want the audio going to that not to the tv... So you only really need a quality video feed to the TV.

Thanks in advance

5. timdawe

timdawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure that you can say that all plasmas would be better than all LCDs (and personal taste is going to come into it to a degree), but in my opinion the best analogue terrestrial/Freeview picture I have seen is from a plasma, the Panasonic PV500.

Interestingly, before I even started looking at screens, I had already decided that I wanted an LCD because I thought it was a better technology. LCDs all seem to look great on Hi Def material and even DVDs, but not so good on standard TV, which I'm still going to be watching for a few years yet, so I've changed my mind. Now if only I could find somewhere with stock and decent prices...

Yes

Think of it as a Scart for the next generation. Eventually even low end kit will be Hi Def and HDMI will be the standard connector. There will probably be as many peoplethen as there are now who just want to connect a player to a screen and don't care about surround sound (my Mum and Dad for example).

6. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi priceless

i cant comment on the plasma lcd debate but i can give you my opinion on the phillips 37" lcd cos i bought one 3 weeks ago. easiest answer is i cant fault it, dvd playback is clear and sharp (watchin from about 2 m away) sky is good most of the time but then sky in my area isnt exactly pin sharp.

if you want 37" that is fully high def compatible with good picture on normal definition you cant go far wrong with this. im very happy with it. and comet have just dropped the online price to just over 1200 quid

hope this helps

7. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Priceless

Gravitated towards the Philips set today in amongst a bunch of panels in Apollo2000 (£1499) (Comet seems cheaper thanx!!!)very bright clear image, usual shared feed degrade of signal, but was impressed nontheless, my only quible is the lack of inputs. I intend to use new screen with DVI output from my PC card nv7800GTX, and maybe connect up my pion575 and of course Sky , so it would be fine , but other sets i have looked at like the 32"Hitachi7200 have DVI, RGB and HDMI..which i don't know how you feel about this, but it makes me feel "shortchanged" ..

The other problem i have though is with poor signals and their display on LCDs i really hate how a poor signal looks, that grainy stuff , and rubbish around characters !! and i feel i am drawn like yourself to a plasma, i am not sure this is the right direction as they all seem to show the same sort of digital "garbage" but a 37" panny500 is only a few quid more £1,732 is a price i like (incl table top stand...currys)
    It may be an option !

TBH
    I keep trying to tell myself that all these sets will look great when set up at home but after a trip down the highstreet i keep running home with wallet firmly shut...jeeezuz theres some bad sights.

Rich