Help with weekend in London

GeeZus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm planning on spending a weekend in London next month (05/05 - 07/05)
Going with my brother and have got tickets booked for the London motor show for the Saturday.
Looking for a bit of advice.
We're coming down from Leeds. Planning on driving down as trains are coming in at about £60 each.
Planning on driving to the outskirts of London then getting train for the rest of the trip.
Where would you recommend we drive down to as we've not yet booked the hotel (would prefer somewhere nice and cheap as it will only be used for a few hours sleep)
Also looking in to a few things we can do in the evening if possible (alcohol free)
With regards to travel if we're gonna be travelling via train and bus through London are we best of buying the day travel card or using a pay as you go oyster card.

Thanks

With regards to travel if we're gonna be travelling via train and bus through London are we best of buying the day travel card or using a pay as you go oyster card.
Best using a contactless debit/credit card (if you have one).

No deposit required (required to get a PAYG Oyster card), & it uses daily capping. If you do enough travel to reach the price of a day travelcard, you won't be charged any more than the day travelcard would have cost. If you don't travel enough to reach the day travelcard cost, you'll just be charged however much you used it.

Drive to Watford, get the train from there to Euston probably about a £10 return. Stay at the Tavistock, twin room (£55 each) it's only 5 mins walk from the station. It's pretty basic, but perfectly OK, and an all you can eat breakfast.

Use a contactless card for the tube, it'll work out the cheapest fare for you.

In the evening, if you really want to cut down on costs (i.e. Nothing)- walk from the hotel to Covent Garden (20 minutes or so) and watch some street performers - from there, cross Waterloo bridge, walk along the south bank, over Westminster bridge and catch the tube back to Euston.

What about staying around Croydon. Would that be an option ?

Well for one thing Croydon is on the other side of London so quite a long way around from Leeds.

For another - bleurgh - though if they have cheap hotels you could - they are on a good line for Battersea.

I don't think it particularly matters as long as you pick somewhere with good connections - look at Laterooms or Expedia and check out places on the circle/district/overground lines or serviced by southern/south west trains. They are all the closest services for Battersea Park.

Well for one thing Croydon is on the other side of London so quite a long way around from Leeds.

For another - bleurgh - though if they have cheap hotels you could - they are on a good line for Battersea.

I don't think it particularly matters as long as you pick somewhere with good connections - look at Laterooms or Expedia and check out places on the circle/district/overground lines or serviced by southern/south west trains. They are all the closest services for Battersea Park.
Any area in particular that you would recommend. Doesn't have to be close to Batteries Park. As long it's neasrish to centre.
What about somewhere like Hounslow ?

I've been to Croydon once.

A group of fellows cleared my entire van out whilst I was in IKEA picking up a sofa.

I don't think I'll be visiting again.

Sorry to hijack, but sort of related, can I use contactless on the dlr from excel? Need to travel from excel to Greenwich on Sunday and get back there from st James park

Thanks

Sorry to hijack, but sort of related, can I use contactless on the dlr from excel?
You can use contactless anywhere on the TfL network. On buses it's the only option as they no longer accept cash.

So Croydon is out of the question. Any other places you could recommend

I wouldn't drive at all. Just catch a train all the way into london. Battersea Evolution is in the middle of the park and easily walk-able from the overground station. Chelsea is fairly near and has loads going on of an evening. If it were me I'd just stay in central london and have all that has to offer on your doorstep. Use booking.com to find a room for your budget. I often do random overnights in central due to jobs and decent enough rooms can be had from £80 to £100.

What kind of food do you like or is there any cuisines your keen to try? I literally have 100s of places to eat I can recommend. Finally, I have been to Battersea Evolution. I very much doubt you'd need more then a day at the motor show to see it all. Were you planning on going both days?

So Croydon is out of the question. Any other places you could recommend
@Liquid101 seems to have you pretty much covered. For the show it's a short tube ride from Euston to Victoria, then change to Sloan Square. Less than a mile to the park gates or bus if it's raining.

I wouldn't drive at all. Just catch a train all the way into london. Battersea Evolution is in the middle of the park and easily walk-able from the overground station. Chelsea is fairly near and has loads going on of an evening. If it were me I'd just stay in central london and have all that has to offer on your doorstep. Use booking.com to find a room for your budget. I often do random overnights in central due to jobs and decent enough rooms can be had from £80 to £100.

What kind of food do you like or is there any cuisines your keen to try? I literally have 100s of places to eat I can recommend. Finally, I have been to Battersea Evolution. I very much doubt you'd need more then a day at the motor show to see it all. Were you planning on going both days?
Only planning on going on the Saturday and like you said only plan to spend a few hours there and the rest of the time around London.
Food wise I'm up for anything as long as it's halal.

This is London, you'll find it more difficult to get non Halal meat.

This is London, you'll find it more difficult to get non Halal meat.
Except for the tasty BBQ/rib places around London :) (but otherwise agree London has lots of restaurants that serve halal)

Non idea, I don't eat it unless I decide to.

No, I don't eat Halal unless I go for a curry.

I choose not to eat it in my day to day meat eating.

No, I don't eat Halal unless I go for a curry.

I choose not to eat it in my day to day meat eating.
To be honest, I don't really check whether the meat is halal or not. I assume the BBQ/rib places in London wouldn't be halal though since pork ribs are cooked on the same equipment.

I always specify it to be non Halal.

Most places can't do that so I make my complaint to the manager and then choose a vegetarian option.

Anyway, this isn't about what type of meat I eat.

The OP won't have any problems finding food.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom