Help with website needed please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Exemplar, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Exemplar

Exemplar
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    Afternoon all.

Hopefully some of you 'techy' people can help.

I'm hoping that some of you can look at our new divisions website Home | SmartTrash on different devices an let me know what the viewing experience is like?

I have tried it on an iPhone, iPad and my works pc and 'feel' that some of the graphics are a bit 'rough' when using Chrome and IE, but scale fine and look pin sharp on the iPhone and iPad.

Our MD is meeting the designers in the next few days so any constructive (as opposed to that looks ****e) comments more than welcome.

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Not so much of a criticism, but why is the video on the front page not from your YouTube channel, I assume you want to use YouTube as a form of social networking/marketing, so surely you want to encourage your plays on that?

The navigation in the top right seems a bit hidden - in the sense that there's no real focus on it, it just seems a little lost/out of place to me?

The twitter updates at the bottom is just a link to your twitter, why not have a ticker in there showing latest tweets?

The grey text on the off-white background isn't as clear as it should be in my opinion - perhaps making the text a little darker would help with that?

All small matters, but they stood out to me.

3. Exemplar

Exemplar
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    Hi,

That's awesome feedback thanks. Very constructive.

Can I ask what OS, Browser and screen resolution you're using?

Alex

4. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Windows 7
    Firefox 14.0.1 @ 1920*1200
    Chrome 21.0.1180.57 @ 1280*1024

:thumbsup:

5. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    I really like the big video on the home page but iccz has a good point about getting youtube views, i dont think the general graphics look bad at all, look totally fine.

Only thing is navigation tabs should be horizontally laid under the smart trash main top left logo and the facebook, twitter etc buttons should be moved into the top right, at least thats how i'd do it.

I'd be tempted to swap around the 'save money' 'save time' pictures under the video with the little description under those, as i had to scroll around to find what it was all about (without sitting through the video) and i think thats something that should be immediately apparent.

Firefox @ 1366x768

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    I clicked on your link but immediately closed the window. It's really rude to play the video automatically and I (and many other people I know) refuse to use websites that do so :D

It should start off paused so people can watch it if they choose/it's appropriate at the current time

7. Exemplar

Exemplar
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    Thanks Hitby, I did think that as well. Browser OS etc please?

8. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Chrome Version 20.0.1132.57 OSX 10.8

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    not sure if it's supposed to or not, but the background pattern stops before the end of the page, the email link and "read more from our blog" have a plain background behind them

but i'm not fond of the background pattern to be honest, it reacts badly with the non-bold fonts and the light green parts of the "save money", "save time", "save the planet" links and makes them look like they've got edge enhancement (at least on my plasma) - I think the background would look better plain.

Also not sure why you're using an image for the text starting "Smart Trash provide a solution..."

In the same paragraph, you've used "it's" when you should have used "its"

page title refers to the company as SmartTrash but it is referred to as Smart Trash in the page

Also, the gradient block at the bottom exhibits banding - it might be worth trying a gradient fill in your stylesheet instead of an image to see if that looks any better.

Firefox 13.0.1 / 1920x1080

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  10. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,172
    There shouldn't be an apostrophe in provides (I think this is in a blog). Also seconded for the automatic video - as soon as a website does that its quicker for me to close it down than find the mute button, and I rarely go back :)

Also you need consistency over your company name. In almost all places it is SmartTrash (one word), but on your homepage just under the save money button it is two words.

Other than that it looks good - I'm using the latest firefox (not sure on version number) and on a 37" tv at 1920x1080

11. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I think this may seem rather nitpicky, but I do find the lime colour scheme to be rather overbearing, especially on the blank sides - is that the official company colour and can nothing be done, or could it be toned down a bit?

12. Exemplar

Exemplar
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    All good feedback thanks, as I stated we will be seeing the developers soon so I have copy/pasted all of the comments so far and put them into a word document for him to take.

Many Thanks,

Alex