Help with WD TV File formats

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Fly_Boy_Rez, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Fly_Boy_Rez

Fly_Boy_Rez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks,

I've had my WDTV since christmas and whilst I'm generally getting to grips with it I'm finding some irritants that have me wondering whether I'm doing something wrong or whether these are real issues. :confused:

One of the reasons for getting the WDTV was to be able to capture all the footage of our two and a half year old daughter onto one device and then be able to watch them back at leisure at any time.

The footage has been shot on a Mini-DV camcorder and captured to disk using Pinnacle Studio 10. The first attempts at playing this footage proved fruitless as the WDTV doesn't recognise the file format as captured by the pinnacle software. :(

So I used the Arcsoft Media Convertor 2.5 application to output in Arcsoft H264 640x480 format. It came with the WDTV so I guessed it would be fully compatible with the device. It's an extra step but no big deal... until I try and playback the file and find that while it will play, it won't fast forward or rewind at all.... and if I do try and do so the timeline bar and time countdowns stay on the screen and won't go away again.

Granted, it's not a complete job stopper but a huge irritant nonetheless. Have I missed a trick here? Or are the files output by Arcsoft really that limited that I can't do any of this fancy dan fast forwarding? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Rez

2. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ..."generally" speaking I've had a lot of file reading problems with video formats going back a number of years with various video cameras BUT after using the supplied Arcsoft conversion sofware (as long as it recognises the original file format) after conversion all functions seems to work OK... (Fast forward /rewind and x10)...does a reasonably good job with quality and the upscaling of the WD HD TV is really good on my 42" LCD....