1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Warranty Issue on AE100 - dies after 87hrs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rogeralpine, Jul 29, 2005.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been a while since I personally delved into the AE100 fault problem "corner" (having upgraded my own AE100 a while back), but my father's AE100 has just packed up after only 87 hours use after approx two and a half years ownership (from new.)

The one year warranty has obviously expired, but since the unit has such a small number of hours on the clock, I really feel he has a case to get Panasonic to cover the repair/shipping costs (Especially as the fault is IMHO a known common one (psu failure)).

Has anyone any experience of "out of warranty claims" and basically, has he a leg to stand on? (Or is it hard luck?)

I would be most grateful for any advice, help, contact numbers/names at Panasonic etc. that anyone can pass onto us.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,071
    You should possibly have a claim here. It might be tricky and you would need to read up on it so you can quote various rules back to them when they turn you down, which they probably will do first time.

Whatever you buy should be fit for purpose and be expected to last a reasonable amount of time. For example a TV should be expected to last several years so if it goes down after 13 months you should be covered under the law somewhere. As with this projector, can't remember what the life span is quoted but it is a hell of a lot longer than 87 hours.

There is a sticky somewhere on the forums that gives links to various rights etc, you could also have a look at some government websites such as trading standards which should help you on your claim.

Greg

3. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I advise talking to Panasonic. They are the ones able to make decisions and may make one based purely on customer service rather than any legal obligation.

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...cheers chaps - a call to Panasonic 1st then to see if they will repair the pj FOC!

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    He should also talk to the retailer because he could claim under the Sale of Goods Act. Talk to Trading Standards. The new SOGA has more "teeth" than the old one.

6. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GregHook is quite right you have a statutory remedy which persists on a measure of reasonableness re the product and the price paid. Any test of reasonableness is a question of fact. Given your circumstances of low usage and the known problems of the the model you purchasedthe reasonableness test is likely to be considered passed.

The most important thing you must realise at the outset is that your remedy does not apply as against Panasonic, the manufacturer. To avail yourself of the rights contained in the Sale of Goods Act you will need to pursue a remedy against the retailer not the manufacturer.

I suggest you contact your retailer as it is liable and is best placed to negotiate with the manufacturer in any event. If you do eventually need to take the matter to the small claims court this website will be of use to you: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Good luck:thumbsup: