Help With Vista On Dell Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBanga

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just tried to reinstall Vista onto a fairly new Dell laptop due to a few glitches but I've made one or two mistakes so need a helping hand!

My hard drive is partitioned into two drives. The OS (Operating System) <C:> and Recovery <D:>. I accidently installed Vista onto the Recovery drive and don't know how to remove it. I now have two operating systems to choose from at start up :( How do I remove the one from the D:?

Also, after installing Vista onto the C:, I now have a folder called "Windows.old" which is around 13GB large. Is this folder needed or can it be deleted?

Thanks in advance.

I am not very technical - but can you run Vista on 'C' and go into explorer and delete it off 'D' ?? or does it appear in the 'uninstall programs' option off the control panel ?

The Windows.old is the copy of Windows XP you previously had installed. It is there in case you want to uninstall Vista.

Your dell laptop should have come with a recovery CD(s) so overwriting the folder with your Vista installation shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Probably have the mods move this thread to the Windows forum where the guys can offer alot more help.

I've just tried to reinstall Vista onto a fairly new Dell laptop due to a few glitches but I've made one or two mistakes so need a helping hand!

My hard drive is partitioned into two drives. The OS (Operating System) <C:> and Recovery <D:>. I accidently installed Vista onto the Recovery drive and don't know how to remove it. I now have two operating systems to choose from at start up :( How do I remove the one from the D:?

Also, after installing Vista onto the C:, I now have a folder called "Windows.old" which is around 13GB large. Is this folder needed or can it be deleted?

Thanks in advance.
Yikes how did you manage to do that?! Anyway you could delete everything off the "D" drive but that would only leave you with an empty partition.

Personallly, I would boot off the Vista DVD and during setup I would format both partitions and install the OS onto the C drive. And use the D drive as a backup partition.

Uninstall vist and instll XP. Problem solved. ;)
Yeah, really helpful. :rolleyes:

Uninstall vist and instll XP. Problem solved. ;)
Please don't post in the thread unless you have something sensible to add to the topic.

Curly

windows.old will contain the windows, Program files, user data folders from your old installation of windows. If you had anything you want to keep from your last "my documents" make sure you copy it out of that folder before you delete "windows.old"

OK, sorted it. For some reason, the Dell reinstallation CD was part of the Media Direct CD. Kind of illogical but it's made everything work properly now. I was having problems with iTunes and the reinstallation cleared that.
Cheers for all the helpful comments guys :thumbsup:

Please don't post in the thread unless you have something sensible to add to the topic.

Curly

Meh bibble bibble meh raaaah wotcha (please don't ban me) :rotfl:

As the thread starter has fixed his problem I'll close this thread before there are any more "sensible helpful" posts.

Curly

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom