Help with video codecs please

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a MCE 2005 pc and am able to watch tv via a 30 day trial version of Cyberlink Video/SP decoder (PDVD7) decoder..

my problem is that I cannot watch anything at all using vlc or wmp11, I get the sound but no video.. I cannot play anything, be it, avi, xvids etc..

can anyone tell me what I need to do please..

Sounds like you do not the codec registered properly. Download the codec checker from Microsoft.

For DVDs you need a MPEG2 codec - Nvidia PureVideo is generally thought the best £30.
For dvix, xvid, avis you need a MPEG4 codec - FFdshow is generally thought the best and its free.

also do a check on google for codec packs, theres a few about which will download a load of codecs and install them in one hit.

also do a check on google for codec packs, theres a few about which will download a load of codecs and install them in one hit.

I would be a bit cautious with using codec packs as they can cause codec conflicts.

I agree be carefull installing loads of stuff to get your movies playing. After some trial and error I now only install:

PureVideo Platinum
CCCP - codec pack

Then I configure FFDShow using a FAQ I cant find the link of now (I'm at work).

Everything I have plays fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom