• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with video codecs please

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Hi I have a MCE 2005 pc and am able to watch tv via a 30 day trial version of Cyberlink Video/SP decoder (PDVD7) decoder..

my problem is that I cannot watch anything at all using vlc or wmp11, I get the sound but no video.. I cannot play anything, be it, avi, xvids etc..

can anyone tell me what I need to do please..

jaymz

Established Member
Sounds like you do not the codec registered properly. Download the codec checker from Microsoft.

For DVDs you need a MPEG2 codec - Nvidia PureVideo is generally thought the best £30.
For dvix, xvid, avis you need a MPEG4 codec - FFdshow is generally thought the best and its free.

jaymz

Established Member
also do a check on google for codec packs, theres a few about which will download a load of codecs and install them in one hit.

I would be a bit cautious with using codec packs as they can cause codec conflicts.

mac_monkey

Established Member
I agree be carefull installing loads of stuff to get your movies playing. After some trial and error I now only install:

PureVideo Platinum
CCCP - codec pack

Then I configure FFDShow using a FAQ I cant find the link of now (I'm at work).

Everything I have plays fine.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom