1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Video capture needed

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jlcrawford, May 8, 2002.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi I am brand new to this so any help is appreciated I have lists of Questions.
    I have bought a Cannon MV4i and got a firewire card with it which I installed without problem. The software bundled is MGi Videowave and this seemed to work OK but

1 Playback of captured DV is awful with jumpy picture and sound.
    Am I using a good software or is this pants?

2 The software crashes occasionally and tips say to capture sound at 8 bit(not16) and video at lower resolutions- yet it doesn't say how to do this.

3 The anologue output direct to my TV works fine - as does the DV when I simply opt for tape preview but I get no sound in preview only on playback of the captured AVI.

4 My system is P4 1500 Ati 7500 MAudio sound card win ME- its my recently built HTPC.I dont have a good video capture card just a cheap TV card with inputs but I have as yet only tried DV

Any Help guys

I hope its just the software

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When capturing, stop all other applications including such things as 'Find Fast' and the Task bar clock. Check you have DMA enabled on your hard drive(s) and controller(s). (are you using a separate drive for captures?) A separate drive is strongly recommended. Ideally a big IDE 7200 rpm spin speed with a big on-board cache.

Check on the web for the latest drivers for everything.

Captures via firewire should be fine if all the above is OK.

Configuring a PC for video editing is a different game to HCPC. You may want to create a different hardware profile for each use.

3. pdonohue

pdonohue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

I also have an MV4i and I have a lot of trouble with capturing video. I get lots of small coloured squares on the image.

I have tried different PCs, firewire cards, cables etc and I have tried to capture video using the bundled software, Adobe Premier and the software that came on my Sony VAIO. The squares are always there. I have done all the usual things, DMA, no background tasks etc.

I contacted Canon and the supplier of the software but they blame each other. I think that my tests prove that the camera is at fault. In the end I just gave up.

My MV4i has now died completely and I was only looking in this forum to see if anyone knows how to eject the tape when the camera wont power up. You post just reminded me what a piece of £&$^*£$ this camcorder is.

Paul