1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with upgrading to sky plus

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by edrock85, Sep 7, 2004.

1. edrock85

edrock85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm not that knowlegeable about all of this hi-tech stuff, but having looked around on ebay I've decided to enter some bids on sky plus boxes. My problem is this:
    I already have sky digital- installed by sky- with the digibox in my living room and a coaxial cable going up into my bedroom, so I'm able to WATCH a sky channel but I can't yet change the channels. So what I'm looking to do is to buy a sky plus box on the cheap on ebay, and replace my old digibox with it. My questions are:
    1. Can I just plug the cable from the dish that originally went into my digibox into my new sky plus box?
    2. How will I be able to take advantage of the 'watch one channel whilst recording another' highlight without paying an extra subscription?
    3. What should I use to enable me to change the channels from upstairs?

Could you please help me out with what I need to do all this and maybe even a shopping list :) , your help will be much appreciated, thanks Ed

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    1) Yes but SKY+ needs two LNB feeds which is why a retail unit will come with a Quad LNB to replace the single LNB that is on a standard dish.
    2) You can not. Without paying the £10 a month fee or having at least two SKY premium channels (SKY+ service fee waived) the SKY+ acts as a more or less standard digibox.
    3) SKY+ or any SKY digibox can be controlled using a TVlink style of device connected to the RF2 output. A small voltage is sent by the digibox which carries the return signals from the "eye" in the second location which allows remote control of the box.

There has been an ongoing promo of a £99 SKY+ for new subscribers, there is a rumour that the deal could be extended to existing subscribers. At the very least it's worth finding out what SKY will charge for a full warranty supply and install:)

3. edrock85

edrock85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sky world package with sky movie channels and sky sport channels, do these count as the sky premium channels? or do you mean stuff like filmfour and mutv, which I don't have?

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Premium channels are the Sports and Movies channels. So I assume you're more than covered. Sky Sports 1+2 should be 2 channels.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As Rob20 says:)
    SS1, SS2, SM1 and SM2 are all considered to be seperate SKY premium channels and any two of these gets you the SKY+ fee waived.

6. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10