• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

help with upgrade Sony to yamaha

RobTi

Prominent Member
Hi I have been nearly ready to hit the buy button on many occasions but have been having second thoughts by not having a definate answer so hoping that I get one here and can either buy or forget about upgrading.

I have a Sony strda1200es with a 5.1 monitor audio bronze set up with B2's as fronts bfx as rears and a matching bronze centre (sorry on phone and can't remember the model no.).

I have a htpc, TiVo,HD-DVD player going into a plasma & Pj.

So at the moment I have the hb bi-amped and am not happy with the high frequencies ( guitar strings, cymbals) even though I have the treble up and bass down and have tried redoing the setup from factory reset and double checked all wiring, both with the speaker link back in and out( it does sound better bi-amped)

So if I bought a 671 would I notice any sound improvement at all or is it simple my hearing

Thanks

Last edited:

RobTi

Prominent Member
It's okay need something new to play with so went for a 671

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is hard to account for personal preference so no one can tell you what you will prefer. There's nothing wrong with the Yamaha's SQ though and it is a good amp at a very favourable price. I doubt you'd do better for the money and the amp would equate to the level your current amp once occupied. You may perceive a shift in tonal bias though? Sony tend to veer towards the clinical while Yamaha veer towards the warmer notes.

RobTi

Prominent Member
Well amp came today can't believe how light it is compared to the Sony must be half the weight and a couple of inches shorter in depth.

Time to play :-D

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom