Help with understanding disc formats

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hawklord, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I've recently bought a NEC ND2510a to back up some of my dvd's and also my pc files etc.
    I've used dvdshrink to back up Ginger Snaps II (good film btw) to try it out to a dvd-R which plays fine on the dvd drive which burnt it (as you would expect) via windows media player. I know that it works ok but when I came to play it on my designated dvd player (see sig for make) I just get a dirty disc prompt on playback. Looking at the dvdp's spec it says it's compatable with dvdvideo, dvd-rw, sacd and video cd's. I was of the opinion that dvd-r is the same as dvd-rw but not re-recordable ie you write once only. If that's the case then my designated dvdp should be able to play the disc or am I completely wrong?
    I'm in the process of trying it with a dvd-rw disc I've borrowed from next door to see if I've just bought the wrong type of disc by mistake.

thanks for taking the time to read this:)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Hawklord, DVD-R is the most compatible of any DVDR format - it plays on virtually all DVD players. However a number of things can affect compatibility:
    - Brand of media your using (cheap media isn't always particularly compatible). Try using branded media.
    - Burning programme. What one are you using? Depending on your programme you should ideally use a DVD-Video wizard when compiling your recording as this will avoid an incompatible file being placed on the disk.
    - Source files. Have these been properly encoded to within the DVD specification. TMPG Enc Plus can do this for you ( http://www.tmpgenc.net/ ).
    - Authoring programme. Again some can make incompatible recordings. I suggest using TMPG Encoder Author or a Ulead product (although there are many of other good ones).

Hopefully this link works:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=834&Search=Search&#comments
    That is the database entry for your Sony NS900. As you can see various people have had success with DVD-Rs so I suggest changing one of the three things above and see if you have any more luck.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    The brand of dvd-r disc I'm using is Mirror Platinum is this a good make or an unbranded cheapo?
    I just used the backup button on dvdshrink3.1 which encoded the dvd to a temp folder on my hard drive which it then used to burn to dvd. The first try yeilded good results for my pc but not the sony.I've just tried using a dvd-rw disc to record the same film and it plays fine on the sony :confused:
    I have Nero 6 ultra but it refused to copy the disc because it was copy writed.
    I'll have another go and see what happens:)

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Does sound like a problem with the media then Hawklord. I don't have much time for Mirror disks - I have never had compatibility problems with them but out of a 7 pack I got in Comet 12 months ago all but one is now unplayable :mad: I would suggest using branded media (Sony, Panasonic, Maxell, Pioneer, TDK etc) and see if that works.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265

Ok thanks for that :D

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'll add Imation to the list. Horrible discs - I've had to use about 2 different DVD drives borrowed from a mate to pull data off them which are unreadable by the same NEC ND-1300A that wrote them about 9 months ago!

I also have a pair of ND-2510As in both of my PCs at work (I'm based in two different places). Might have to grab some dual-layer media just to 'test' it's backup capabilities. However, an ND-2510A is next on my list to buy for home.

DVD Decrypter is an excellent program for copying DVDs - you can rip a whole disc to an ISO image, then write it back from the same program to a blank disc. It's here: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/. By doing an image-based rip/write, it copies all the audio/menu/video files in one hit.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Which dvd-r discs do you recomend. I've noticed overclockers have a load of different types at vaying prices which out of these would be best IYO?:-

BulkPaq (Prodisc) DVD+R 4x Printable (25 Tub) (ME-003-BQ) £10.13
    Datawrite Classic Fuji 8x DVD-R (25 Tub) (ME-008-DW) £9.16
    Datawrite Ritek 4x DVD-R Yellow (25 Tub) (ME-007-DW) £9.16
    Mirror Platinum Pro (Ritek G04) 4x DVD-R (25 Tub) (ME-006-MI) £9.40
    Ritek DVD+R 4x (purple) (25 Tub) (ME-003-RD) £12.57
    Verbatim 4.7GB 4x DVD-R (25 Tub) (ME-005-VB) £19.62

Can you get quality discs cheaper than this?

Thanks

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    I use a variety of branded media: for each archiving I make I burn a copy on a Panasonic DVD-R, a Sony DVD-R, a Sony DVD+R and a Maxell DVD-R (and keep a copy on a caddied DVD-RAM). The Panasonic and Sony disks are then locked away and the Maxell is a daily use disk.

Anyway a good place to get cheap branded media (Sony, Maxell) is:
    http://www.dvd-and-media.com/dvd media.htm
    They are more expensive than the prices you quote but, IMHO, it is worth paying more.

Out of the ones you quote I would only take the Verbatim DVD-Rs. I've been burnt a few times with Riteks but some people love them so I guess I've just been unlucky.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    I should point out you can get some good deals on Panasonic DVD-Rs at:
    http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/shop.aspx

There pricing can be a little surprising at times: for example a 20pk in jewel cases is cheaper per disk than a 50 disk spindle! But most of the facts average about £1 a disk - which is a good price for such reliable media IMHO.