Help with TV tuner for LCD monitor

sworrall

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry but i managed to post this in lcd projectors by mistake so apologies for the cross post...

Ive been searching through the forums for some background info on tv tuners and was wondering if any of you could provide some advice.

Im intending to buy an LG L1730B monitor for our kitchen which will be used as a PC monitor (using the DVI and will be playing games) and a TV.

Ive been looking at buying an external TV tuner to plug into the dsub of the monitor so I dont have to turn the PC on to watch a bit of tv and have come accross several which seem to fit the bill.

Lots of people recommend the prov+ on here and ive also read good reviews on the avermedia TV Box 9. One of the differences between the two is that the avermedia quotes a max resolution of 1280*1024 whilst the Prov+ states 1024*768. My main question is will this make a difference to the quality of the TV picture as the monitors native resolution is 1280*1024. Am I going to lose out if I go for the prov as it wont be running at the LCD's native res????? Please excuse me if this seems like a dumb question as im quite new to tv's through lcd panels.

Has anyone used an avermedia box 9 and is it any good?

ive also seen another product they do which would take me straight to digi tv which is the Avermedia TV Box STB3. anybody have any experience of this or seen it in action??

So all in all what tuner would you recommend for a budget of around £120 ish to feed an LG 17" panel?

Thanks in advance

Stu

If you can run to the digital avermedia, it will give the best results, assuming you do freeview where you live. sending native resolution to an LCD panel is fairly crucial.

Hi MAW

I have seen the Avermedia TV Box STB3 for about £112 + del so its about the same price as a prov. It also has a native res of 1280*1024 which would match the 17" lcd,

We do get freeview here as Ive got it built into my sony crt

Has anyone else run a prov to a 17inch panel? does it leave black borders on the horizontal and vert due to its max res of 1024*768 or will it "zoom to fit"?

thanks

stu

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom