Help with TV position and room layout

AltGr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm (hopefully) moving into my new house in the new few weeks and therefore looking to get everything setup again. It will be a "wife friendly" setup, in the sense that I don't have a lot of gear and everything needs to be fairly tidy and easy to use.

However, the new lounge is causing me a bit of a headache and I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion on where to stick the TV. Do I go with the current position with the TV stuff in the corner beside the fireplace, where the current owners have it setup?

14326808611_75e4d6669a_o.jpg

Or do I look to switching the room around and do something like this, where the TV is on the blank wall and then equipment in/on a unit beside the fireplace?

14143621387_c7ea3ef0c1_o.jpg

Its likely we'll be updating furniture, like sideboards and sofas, but our current gear is pretty much the same as the existing family that's there, so corner sofa will be down the line.

Opinions and ideas welcome.

Number 2. I don't like corner set ups.

Won't you get reflections with the tv being opposite a window?

I'd agree with Pingpong. I think the overall space would work better and having to squeeze through furniture to get into the room would make it seem smaller.

For the reflections, would it really be that noticeable? If so, I'd have thought curtains would considerably cut them. down and you might get reflections off the wall if you're placing it in a corner...

I have a large bay window opposite my TV. I have Venetian blinds and they cut out reflections as well as keeping the room quite light.
When the PJ is on though, its blinds and curtains closed!

Thanks for the replies. I think I know in my mind that the new layout is the way to go, just need to get buy in from the wife :eek:

I agree option 2 is much better for TV (& future PJ screen?)

Another option 3,would be same layout as option 2 with TV above fireplace (depending on height & depth of mantelpiece)

Ps,What did you use to create your diagrams?

I agree option 2 is much better for TV (& future PJ screen?)

Another option 3,would be same layout as option 2 with TV above fireplace (depending on height & depth of mantelpiece)

Ps,What did you use to create your diagrams?

Above the fireplace is a possibility as there is definitely space. However I am not keen on having the TV too high. Also in terms of seating position and viewing of the actual TV, I wouldn't really benefit from it.

For the designs I've been using Create floor plans, house plans and home plans online with Floorplanner.com There is a Google Chrome extension (which I think just takes you to the site anyway, but offers quick sign in. The free version suits me just fine. You can adjust all the measurements. There's also an iPad app called FloorPlanner Finder, which allows you to view your designs on the go. Unfortunately no editing on the iPad, but I've used other apps on the ipad in the past and find them too fiddly to be honest.

Option 4 would be to remove the fireplace and then put the TV in the space it currently is. This is what I did when I moved into my new house a couple of years ago. Although I have a modern house so was no chimney breast etc. to remove, just had to remove fire and surround. Fireplaces to me just seem pointless when you have central heating hence was an easy thing to remove and the wife agreed (just a waste of good wall space).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom