Help with TV please am a bit of a novice.

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by bigjohn6348, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bigjohn6348

bigjohn6348
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey

I am after a new tv, i have just purchased the

LG 47LM620T for £678 from John Lewis (prices matched dixons)

Buy LG 47LM620T LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 47 Inch with Freeview HD and 4x 3D Glasses online at JohnLewis.com

however, now that it has been delivered i am not sure that it is big enough. Can send it back with the 7 day return policy.

I have now seen Samsung 51PS51E550D1KXXU

Samsung PS51E550 51" Plasma Smart TV - TVs | Ebuyer.com

I am led to beleive that LED tv are better than Plasma but if i was to go to a 55 LEd i am spending to much money. I would prefer LED as they are passive 3d and not active and been told the picture quality is better on led.

I have read a few reports that lg are havng problems with there screens but i have never has any problems.

Can somone give me there advice on the LG and the Samsung.

Kind Regards

2. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    What's your viewing distance and what do you want to watch ?

Opinions on picture quality is obviously very subjective, but plasma TVs can give a much better, much more natural image than LCD TVs. They can also be better value at the larger sizes, as large LEDs can cost more than the plasma equivalents.

Read the information at the top of the plasma section for more advantages of plasma over LCD.

In terms of 3D - when I bought my plasma last year, it seemed to be generally acknowledged that active 3D gave better results than passive 3D - not sure if this is still the case, but I would demo both types if 3D is important to you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. bigjohn6348

bigjohn6348
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the viewing distance would be about 5/6 meters. I am not a gamer so would be just for Rugby, moveis and general TV.

3D is not a must as there is still limited 3d programs but would prefer it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Definitely demo both types of 3D because I discovered that I can see 3D (with pop) on a passive system but see no 3D at all with active.

It didn't stop me keeping the plasma I bought because the 2D picture is so good, but it's best to be aware of all aspects before making a purchase.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    You have a good TV at a good price, but if you want a bigger screen there is plenty of choice at around that price, so make up your mind about the size, and either keep it or go bigger!

6. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I watch my 46" Panasonic GT30 plasma at around 2.5 - 3m and find it a great size for gaming, movies and TV, although some SD content can look a little poor/soft.

Your viewing distance is huge so you could definitely get away with a larger screen without loss of detail.

I'd actually be very surprised if you could see the difference between SD and HD on a 47" TV at 6m away !

3D will also be a waste of time on a screen that size at that distance I would imagine.

7. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly