Help with TV mounted over old fireplace

Charles36

Novice Member
So I want to wall mount a 55" LCD TV and Sonos sound bar over an old fireplace with the plan that the fireplace hole will house the virgin box etc. There are already shelves to the left of the fireplace (below where the flue goes diagonally up to the left). The wall will then be extended to the right by 400mm with floor to ceiling shelving on the side (example - Pin on Living rooms) and then the whole wall battened to hide cables, probably with some wood panelling.

306409f028e9433b4d8aa347e80aab3c.jpg

The original fireplace has at some point been partially filled to house a back boiler with gas heater which has now been removed. I can see a metal bar across the top of the hole which I'm assuming is a lintel. Above this is some kind of block (breeze / concrete / thermalite ?) which I’m not sure what or how strong it is. The rest of the wall is brick. The ideal TV position is directly over the old fireplace hole meaning the bracket fixings will be going into the patched block work, so I want to add some kind of support.

I wasn’t sure what would provide the best support for the TV mount - a couple of horizontal 2x4 battens spanning the fireplace, or vertical 2x4s with horizontal beams. I’ve seen the Rigifix fitting and thought these would be good, presumably I could use these to secure the 2x4s to the wall and then the mount as well (so they go through the wood frame and into the blocks). Below are some mock ups of how I thought it would look, the first image is the wall as it is now. The photo was taken inside the chimney, showing the metal lintel and blocks patchwork.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 00.50.18 copy 2.pngScreenshot 2021-11-02 at 00.50.18.pngScreenshot 2021-11-02 at 00.50.18 copy.png
IMG_1858.jpeg

Any advice appreciated on which design would be best, fixing to use etc. Or any other ideas. I’d rather not bring the wall out too far so max of 40mm (short side of 2x4) if possible, just enough to hide the cables

Last edited:

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hello!

I think the lack of response here is simply because there are so many unknown variables.

I like the look of option 3 in your diagram.
Any chance you can take the wall back to the blocks and then build a new 4x2 frame? This way you can build as much support as you see fit and good fixings into solid timber always makes me happy.

I'd be worried about the blocks personally - they're effectively a big part of the structure and if they were to let go, it wouldn't be an easy fix!

Charles36

Novice Member
Thank you for responding, I had thought no one was going to. Sorry if things weren't clear, I often have trouble explaining what I mean, particularly in written form. And not knowing technical terms doesn't help.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'take the wall back to the blocks' The only thing covering the wall at the moment is a layer of plaster. Ideally the whole fireplace and chimney would be removed but it's not worth the expense!

I could build a timber frame but thought that was a bit excessive - most people I've seen do that don't have a chimney to start with. And would prefer not to bring the wall out too far. Plus the tv bracket doesn't span the width of the fireplace so it could never be fixed into the vertical studs. Option 3 was halfway there - just with the longer side of the 2x4 against the wall and the fixing being into the horizontal stud. Perhaps that defeats the object though as the longest screws I could then use through the wood only would be 38mm (I assume this wouldn't be enough).

The other option I thought about was a cut of plywood spanning the 2x4s (I already have spare 18mm birch ply) . Then the tv bracket fixings could use nuts and bolts all the way through and would have the benefit of leaving a gap between the ply and wall where any cables could run through. But I wasn't sure if that could take the weight of the tv, brackets and sonos.

Not sure if I should have mentioned it's a cantilever bracket, although it's not likely to be used as such. Only bought it as I couldn't find a vesa one that was tilt and rotate only.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ask a competent builder who knows the construction of your house to have a look and advise on using block you have no knowledge of before assuming you can bolt something to it.

Joe

Charles36

Novice Member
Hi Joe, I'm not bolting anything into the block I'm trying to find the best way to avoid it. The blocks are a very small part of the wall (just happens to be the bit I need to put the bracket into for the optimal viewing position!) the rest of the wall is very solid brick

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Sorry - by "back to the block" I meant, take off the plasterboard and any finishing back to the block.
Build out a 4x2 stud frame for the front and build the studwork as you need for the bracket to mount to. Some high tensile screws with sufficient bracing is all that's needed.

Alternatively you could go flat 4" side to the blocks, thus only 2" coming out by and then 18mm hardwood ply it. Again - plenty of bracing behind - you just need good fixings of the timber into the wall :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As per Yorkshire AV I’d see our install guys tearing everything back to expose the solid structure and start from a place you know you are safe to start, it’s presumably going to be their for a while :)

Joe

Charles36

Novice Member
There's no plasterboard, just plaster direct to brick so I'm reluctant to tackle the messy job of taking it all off. I'm 99% sure it's just those few blocks and the rest is brick, based on other walls taken out previously and being able to see other exposed areas.

Thanks again, the plywood is my preferred option. Big bolts and washers for the ply and some decent frame fixings.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom