Help with Tritton AX Pro Gaming Headset

Moldiver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've setup my head set and i am getting sound but when i go to the sound devices and click configure on the Trittons i can only see "Stereo".

I have installed the mobo sound drivers and it is connected via optical cable, any ideas on how i can get this to change to 5.1

I am only using onboard sound via my Asus p6x58d-e.

Been testing it out and the the master volume doesn't seem to work and the mute button doesn't mute the sound but the hissing stops, there is another volume switch on the controller that works and I think it comes down to the fact it's not set up for 5.1 and the master volume knob and mute button are for 5.1.

Last edited:
I've setup my head set and i am getting sound but when i go to the sound devices and click configure on the Trittons i can only see "Stereo".

I have installed the mobo sound drivers and it is connected via optical cable, any ideas on how i can get this to change to 5.1

I am only using onboard sound via my Asus p6x58d-e.

Been testing it out and the the master volume doesn't seem to work and the mute button doesn't mute the sound but the hissing stops, there is another volume switch on the controller that works and I think it comes down to the fact it's not set up for 5.1 and the master volume knob and mute button are for 5.1.
Some boards only output stereo though optic,use the coloured phono plugs to get 5.1....

Any difference in quality, also doesn't optical do 5.1?
Normally optic(amps,blu-ray players,xbox ect)is always 5.1 but some pc boards are only stereo when using optic,i don't know why.
As i say can you use the coloured phono plugs as i had the pc trittons and they worked fantastic,but i had two sets and the mic broke on both :(.

I've got everything hooked up to my Harman Kardon AV receiver think i could shove the optical in to that and still get the pc to output the sound?

I've got everything hooked up to my Harman Kardon AV receiver think i could shove the optical in to that and still get the pc to output the sound?
Yes you will get sound but the pc will output stereo to the amp then stereo to the headphones.
This is all providing the pc board only outputs stereo from the optic.Do you have a sound card?.

That board may have 5.1, you should go to sound settings at set it to output to digital optical and 5.1

That board may have 5.1, you should go to sound settings at set it to output to digital optical and 5.1
Not 100% but some boards do 5.1/7.1 HDMI 5.1 analogue and stereo optic.

i've looked at the Asus website and it says this which to me looks like i should be getting 5.1 via optical.

"Audio
Realtek® ALC889 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF out ports at back panel"

"ASUS Crystal Sound
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC

DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease."

Don't know mate :(
I did google but could not find a clear answer....

Normally optic(amps,blu-ray players,xbox ect)is always 5.1 but some pc boards are only stereo when using optic,i don't know why.
As i say can you use the coloured phono plugs as i had the pc trittons and they worked fantastic,but i had two sets and the mic broke on both :(.

the phono plugs work fine - albeit much quieter than optical (i have the sharkoon xtatic = same hardware different design.

bladeripper your comment on the mic is interesting, as my sharkoon headset has just had its 2nd mic fail on them in 11 months. really is there that much to go wrong in a blooming mic???

my p8p67 board does 5.1 for dvd s etc on optical but in game its only pro-logic over optical.

Last edited:
the phone plugs work fine - albeit much quieter than optical (i have the sharkoon xtatic = same hardware different design.

bladeripper your comment on the mic is interesting, as my sharkoon headset has just had its 2nd mic fail on them in 11 months. really is there that much to go wrong in a blooming mic???

my p8p67 board does 5.1 for dvd s etc on optical but in game its only pro-logic over optical.
My board will not output 5.1 for films through optic,i would have to use hdmi(don't use gaming rig for films)you need your board to have dolby digital live for 5.1 in games through optic which most boards don't have so you need a sound card that supports this.
The mics are crap,i gave up and bought the px5 and use bluetooth...:smashin:
EDIT HDMI on my gpu...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, used the analogue adapter that came with the headphone and it works in 5.1 but there is a lot of interference when quiet, any idea what this is?

Thanks for the help, used the analogue adapter that came with the headphone and it works in 5.1 but there is a lot of interference when quiet, any idea what this is?

There is a lot of interference when quiet.

You said it yourself: Interference.

With the amount of electronics on the motherboard, are you surprised that there is interference? I would be surprised to not hear interference ;)

If you want to rid yourself of the buzzes and clicks, you need to use:

1) Optical output.
2) [A good] Internal Soundcard.
3) External USB soundcard.

I use the ASUS Xonar DX (£50 from PC World), and it is relatively 'dark' in terms of interference - I've only heard a few 'buzz' noises - Plus it has optical :)

I'm using my new Xmas Beyerdynamic DT770s and it's plugged into the standard 'stereo' jack and I use virtual surround. It's awesome!

Last edited:
New sound card tomorrow it is, I've been toying with the idea for months and trawled through many threads on wether it's better to have a sound card for gaming or use the gfx card hdmi audio. Gonna check pc world as Kustom pcs which s my local only has a limited stock.

make sure you get a dolby digital 5.1 or plus capable to make your headset sing at its full potential.

New sound card tomorrow it is, I've been toying with the idea for months and trawled through many threads on wether it's better to have a sound card for gaming or use the gfx card hdmi audio. Gonna check pc world as Kustom pcs which s my local only has a limited stock.
Just make sure it does D/D live for gaming....:smashin:

With optical I have always been used to the port with the flap and the red light, I notice the sonar has spidif but I see no optical port, I've saw this before but never looked into it. Is it just the same but you use an adapter?

Looking at these three cards from pc world.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-xonar-dx-7-1-channel-pci-e-sound-card-07929964-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/creat...t.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Computing~01991902

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/creat...t.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Computing~01992120

And maybe even this one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-xonar-d2x-7-1-channel-pci-e-sound-card-07908209-pdt.html

For ages I've just used the audio from my nvidia card via hdmi to my receiver, for movies on my pc would I continue to use hdmi and for games use the soundcard? Got my Blu rays ripped but no HD soundtracks as they take up too much space.

From watching some reviews I get the feeling I might be wasting some cash if I go for a High end card as my receiver does all the Dolby/DTS HD for movies and I will be using it for watching them so don't see the point in buying a card at £90 that has a Dolby decoder on it when I guess games won't be using anything like that.

I when buying my soundcard as was little sceptical of how much better it'd be than onboard went for a cheap Xonar DG and was going to get better one but after using it for couple months im not even gonna bother the sounds that good. :)
Even with my Fairly decent Rotel/Mission hifi and Senn HD650's phones it's glorious.
Untill come into some cash im more than happy with it, Perhaps try one for yourself before spending 2-5x the money?

Asia xonar DX for 50 bucks it is.

I'd have to say that the Xonar DX is superb.... You really can't & won't regret it. And the difference between the onboard and the soundcard is night-and-day. Especially when it comes to 5.1 virtualisation!

My Shure's were lit-up with the DX and they make my Beyers sing even better - And that doubles for the 5.1 effects. They're insanely good for that.

The Realtek ALC 892 on my mobo (Asus P8Z68-V PRO) is the highest quality onboard chip that Realtek produce, and don't get me wrong, I don't get much interference from it, and it does sound great [exceptionally smooth and laid-back], but it can't do what the Xonar can do... And the Xonar EQ makes the £50 worth it alone, it allows you to fine tune the audio to your desire.

Btw, you aren't missing out on much if you don't get the D2X....

D2X vs DX:

• D2X is twice the size of the DX (No idea why, maybe because it does DTS?).
  • They use the same audio chip (AV100/AV200 - DX/D2X), made by C-Media. Except that the D2X uses the 'higher quality' C-Media Oxygen HD audio processor chip; they are sorted at a 'quality inspection' stage of the production.
  • The DX uses only Cirrus Logic DAC/ADCs. The D2X uses a single BurrBrown DAC & uses a slightly higher quality ADC (Cirrus Logic) than the DX.
  • The D2X supports DTS, the DX doesn't. So unless you have an exceptional 7.1 DTS enabled speaker-system, I doubt you'd ever need the D2X.

I think it depends on how big your case and your wallet is, to be honest.. The Xonar DX blows me away every time I load up MediaMonkey and especially a really immersive game.

Last edited:
Thanks from reading that the DX does everything I need for games and for movies I can just use my HK AV Receiver to get DTS etc, make sense?

Can also set some new activities on my Logitech 1100 so it's just the click of a button between using hdmi and optical.

Installed and working, sounds great. picked one up from town as pc world had none in stock. Went into pc world on way home and they had everything lol. If i had went there guranteed i would have came home with something more shiny.

Prolly wouldnt have fit in my case as this is a snug fit above the GTX 580.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom