1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Toshiba 42wh18b

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ellispa, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there

Got a problem I am hoping some of you kind folk can help me with.

I have what I consider to be a strange affect on my 42WH18B that I am being told by service engineers is normal, but I think is something more.

I have a picture up here

http://www.btinternet.com/~paulellis/toshiba_fault2.jpg

of the symptom at its worst. Essentially, every time a bright light appears against a black background, this corona effect appears. It isn't always so obvious, and I wouldn't notice watching the footie, but watching anything with sustained nightime scenes ets is a right pain.

Does everyone have this problem, or is it not a problem, merely me being an idiot.

TIA

2. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on my third Tosh 42" RP now and I'm sure they haven't been like that.

I'm not into the techy stuff with TVs so I can't help you much, all I can say is I don't think that's normal - or at least the effect is exaggerated on your set.

3. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a 42WH18B yesterday and I'm taking delivery on the 27th, I'll let you know if mine does it.

4. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is your centre speaker sheilded or is it causing the colour bleed due to the magnet????

5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have constantly been playing around with the convergance setting,trying to solve this.I was close to paying for a Toshiba engineer to come and access the service menu.
    It is interesting to read ripco's post, i suppose it could be the centre speaker.Surely all centre speakers have to have a higher level of sheilding because of the nature of where they are placed.

6. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The centre speaker is magnetically shielded, so that shouldn't be it. That would affect it under all circumstances, not just light on dark.

Someone on the Newsgroups has suggested that its just a side affect, sort of unfocused reflections from within the case.

Not the answer I wanted to hear.

Don't pay for an engineer to come out. Its costing me a bundle, and its looking like its just a symptom of RP TV's. One I didn't know about, but there you are.

Unless someone else knows different, of course.

Cheers for the replies so far.

7. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Paul

I have had a 42WH18B since December and also have this effect, especially when the end credits to a film are scrolling up the screen.

If the background is very black and the text is white this halo effect is apparent. The text is sharp and clear but the brightness of the halo is fairly strong.

I also have problem with the right hand side of the screen. When a white or very light background is showing, it seems that there is a greater concentration of red in this area. It's like the right hand side of the screen is tinted red and the convergence is out. The convergence set-up is slightly fuzzy on the right hand side and I can't quite get the crosses to line up totally. I have ventured into the advanced convergence set-up and found it quite easy to adjust but still couldn't get it quite right on the right hand side.
    The left seems pretty good.

Even after letting the set warm up for an hour or two text and pictures exhibit a red shift. Should I get an engineer to look at it? The TV came with a five year warranty!

Apart from that. My wife and I think that component DVD and Sky digital (RGB) look fantastic.

Paul
    Southampton

8. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Paul. You wrote

"Even after letting the set warm up for an hour or two text and pictures exhibit a red shift. Should I get an engineer to look at it? The TV came with a five year warranty!

Apart from that. My wife and I think that component DVD and Sky digital (RGB) look fantastic. "

I would check to see what exactly is covered by the warranty. Convergence is one of those grey areas that you may end up paying for.

I am being charged £110 call out fee for the company I bought the set from because according to the guy that they sent (a complete idiot who gave the impression that he had never seen a rear projection screen before), I can see what you are talking about but don't know what it is, and wouldn't know how to fix it either way.

I don't think I am going to pay for advice like that.

As an aside, I have a similarly fuzzy right side of my screen, and am almost daily having to tweak the convergance. It isn't as pronounced as the problem you describe, and after adjustment is okay, although not as sharp as the left side.

I am beginning to realise that this kind of thing is just the price you pay for such a large picture. Pity none of the reviews I have read have even mentioned it.

Maybe I'll right to a magazine that gave this TV a perfect review, and see if they can speak to Toshiba direct.

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this tv but i dont have that problem. I had a panny rp before this which did have a similar problem to the one you mention. i called out the currys engineer who said it was a problem but he could not fix it. the tv was replaced with the tosh. The only gripe i have with the tosh is that the screen tilts slightly from right to left. ie. when watching a programme with black bars the bar at the top right is about 1/2 inch deeper than the bar at the top left. So, I get a little bit of colour bleed at the right corner. i can only notice this somtimes though. Apart from that the set is great. I would certainly not settle for the problem you are having. Get it exchanged or demand a refund!

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, have you tried reducing contrast to around 50 and brightness to 42, that may help as these are the ideal settings. Centre speaker on top will not matter whether it is shielded or not, it is well away from the tv tubes which are located right at the bottom of the tv. In the top half of the cabinet there is only the mirror and fresh air!

11. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like the geometry is askew, get an engineer to adjust it for you it's easily done from the remote via the service menu.