1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Toshiba 32Z44 sound problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cherence, Mar 25, 2005.

1. cherence

cherence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a high pitched sound coming from my Toshiba. You cannot predict when It will start but it becomes so annoying that I have to turn the tv off and then back on again to remove it. It does not appear to come from the speakers because If I mute the sound the noise is still there. A sky + box is attached to the tv if i switch off the sky while the tv is on the sound also dissapears but returns as soon as I switch the sky back on. Any help or advice would be grateful

Thanks

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, from your description it 'sounds' as though either the Line Output Transformer (LOPT) or a component in the scan circuitry is vibrating and causing the high pitched whistle. This can be a reasonably common problem in older sets but that's not to say it can't happen in a new telly. In essence a 'coil' or inductor which consists of a large number of turns of wire has become 'loose' and is vibrating in harmony with the horizontal line frequency of the telly (15.6KHz = high pitched whistle) You will need the services of a qualified engineer to take the back off and identify the offending component and replace it - sometimes it can be cured by putting some silicone type 'goop' around the faulty component to literally stop the mechanical vibration. This is NOT a DIY job. Regards, yt.

3. cherence

cherence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,
    Can I just check that when I switch the sky + off but leave the tele on the noise also dissapears. Would this still mean that it could be this coil of wire or could it be something wrong with the sky + box.

thanks

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, bearing in mind that you said the noise was not coming from the speakers - if you're saying that:

With the tv set on and selected to sky box you hear the whistle.

If you then simply switch off the sky box - so that the tv is now not displaying ANY picture or sound and the whistle disappears.

It that is the case, then most likely when the Sky box is switched off the deflection circuitry inside the tv set is no longer 'locked' to the signal coming from the Sky box (because you have switched it off !) and is now 'running free'. If the problem is due to the reasons I gave in my original posting then if the deflection circuitry is working at a slightly different 'running free' frequency then yes the whistle can disappear because the loose coils in the suspect/faulty component now want to vibrate at that slightly different frequency - the 'different' frequency may be suffciently 'different' that in fact they now no longer vibrate and you can't hear anything.

All sounds a bit 'hairy fairy' I know and indeed faults and problems like this can be very difficult to track down. You can only really trace the suspect/faulty component by taking the back off and performing a few tests. I presume you are not qualified to take the back off the tv set so you will have to get the services of a qualified service engineer. Tellys can give out all manner of noises from behind the covers - whistling, rasping, clicking etc and can be due to a wide variety of reasons. Regards, yt.

5. cherence

cherence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One last point if I call an engineer out and the tv is not making the noise will he still be able to detect the fault.

Thanks again for your help

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, no he won't be able to diagnose the fault if it isn't making the offending noise - BUT - that presupposes that the fault is what I think it is. I'm afraid it's not possible to be 100% certain at a 'distance'. I thought you could provoke this fault 'at will' by selecting the Sky box as the tellys input? if that's not the case then the fault may lie elsewhere, perhaps in the PSU. Regards, yt.

7. DaveM

DaveM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey cherence I have the same tele as you and I am having the exact same problem as you, the only difference being that mine whistles with my vcr and dvd player ( toshiba 340e).

How old is you tv? mines only about 4 months old so I hope I have'nt got a dud.

Did you get it sorted out