Help with Tosh WH36

T

Turver

Could anyone please help me, I'm thinking of buying the Tosh WH36 RP. Although after reading reviews on here (which have been very helpful) I,m still not sure of the tv reception quality. I hear about D V D quality but what about watching tv programmes? It would be great if I could actually see one up and running. The shops always have an excuse as to why they cannot get the tv on. I live in the Halifax area if anybody wouldn't mind me having a look! I would appreciate any views on this. Thanks.

139564.jpg

If youre useing a 28" CRT at the moment then you will see the difference.....you will notice the bad signal that analouge puts out...........go out and get yourself a freeview box or sky digital and never worry about RF feeds again.

I changed from a 32" CRT to a 42" Tosh RPTV and i will never go back to Normal CRT again, evern for RF feed.....infact i have just put an order in for a 57" Tosh WH36P.

Normal CRT sets are good, but just dont go big enough........RPTV is more cinema like when watching DVD.
My use is 70% Sky, 15% DVD, 10% Games, 5% Video, BIG FAT 0% RF Feed.

Thanks for that. my tv is the normal 28" which has just packed in so I have to get a new one but the 32"wide screen just doesnt seem big enough, but with RP you seem to get the picture size you want. We do have the freeview box so that should be better then. Where do all the wires go as we run 2 videos a dvd and the digi box?

Originally posted by Turver
Thanks for that. my tv is the normal 28" which has just packed in so I have to get a new one but the 32"wide screen just doesnt seem big enough, but with RP you seem to get the picture size you want. We do have the freeview box so that should be better then. Where do all the wires go as we run 2 videos a dvd and the digi box?

If the DVD player has 2 scart sockets, then you can plug the digi box into the DVD player and then the DVD player into the TV running RGB, normally AV1.
Depending on how many scart sockets the freeview box has, you could plug one of the video's into the freeview box and the other video into the TV AV3, then route the TV to output to AV3 (you will understand what this means when you get the TV).

It all depends what connections you have got on your equipment and how many cables you have.
There are loads of different combinations for connection, you just have to try and try again.
I have prob changed mine about 5 or 6 times since getting my set.

I still think there is a lot of mileage in analogue broadcasts, no bandwidth wories etc. A good analogue feed for me out performs a digital ie SKY & FREEVIEW as no nasty compression artefacts etc

My husband thinks the same. He prefers analogue on our old tv, lets hope it carries through on the new tv. Thanks for you comments anyway.

Originally posted by scooby do
I still think there is a lot of mileage in analogue broadcasts, no bandwidth wories etc. A good analogue feed for me out performs a digital ie SKY & FREEVIEW as no nasty compression artefacts etc

If youre just useing a 28" TV then yes analogue will look good and so will a 32" if you are in a good analogue reception area.
But if you are worried about the quality of RF Analogue on a bigger set, then i would assume that its not to good on the smaller set, so it will look evern worse on a bigger set.

I live in a bad analogue area and digital out performs it.....its about 60% better.
i get no compression artifacts, that i know of.....it looks crystal clear here and i would never go back to the old RF Analogue feed.

I currently view analogue on a 44 inch RP, the theroy behind digital is pretty sound but unfortunately it is geared by lack of bandwidth. Analogue has no such band width issues. The premium channels on SKY just about get enough bandwidth, all though occasionaly problems do arrise during some scenes. My analogue reception is of very high signal strenth, so much so I need to use an attenuator so am lucky in that respect. Although I do suffer from pre signal and a bit of ghosting but the picture is very consistant.

Thanks for all the help from the forum, we have taken the plunge and ordered the Tosh 42wh36. We are waiting for delivery and a little apprehensive! Just to say thanks to Chris and Scooby do for all your advise. We hope it gives us the same WOW factor when we get it home. Thanks again.

Turver,

Where did you order yours from?

I have also ordered the 42wh36 last Friday from Hi Spek and they have given me a delivery date of 30th March.

They have already taken the money from my Barclaycard so I am itching for mine now.

Be good to compare notes when we get them.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry o hijack your post,
Ihave been given the go ahead by her indoors to buy a wh36 but I need to persuade myself whether to go for the 42 and then wish I had ordered the 51 or order the 51 and as my missus puts it have her eyes rolling around trying to take all of the screen in.
What would be the minimum viewing distances for the two sizes of screen?
The room itself is 17.5 ft into a bay x 13ft
with the t.v being positioned to the right of the bay and the maximum distance between t.v and viewing area would be 12ft so I think an average of 9ft would be my limit.

The choice is 42 or 51 hmmmmmmmm:suicide:

I ordered yesterday the 57" and i am very happy i didn't go with 51".

It's all about what person you are and what you like the best, for me i always want the largest.

Hi Paul,
we ordered ours from Be-Direct they said it was out of stock but should be here in 7 to 10 days. They too have taken off our Barclaycard. They said they would ring Toshiba direct and order it to be sent to them and they would send on to us!!! why not have it sent direct? Never mind, were itching to get it as well. Do you worry what people say? They did have bad press when they first went out. When I have told anyone about it they seem to say "what do you want one of then for" I am a little worried now in case their right. Do get intouch when yours comes.
Trish

Trish,

I am not worried in the sightest. I have read everything that has been written about the 42wh36 on these forums and have come to the conclusion that if set up properly they are a fantastic set.

I have also seen one with a half decent picture in a comet store knowing that it was not set up properly and only on a RF feed, so I have every confidence that mine when it arrives will give me everything I am looking for in a big screen set.

With half decent kit and decent leads and a good sky feed which I have it should be the business.....I hope.

I too have had the " Toshiba will send it to us on the 26th and it should be with you on the 30th ". I also wondered why they couldn't just send it directly. Its obviously an invoicing / accounts thing.

Let me know when you get yours.

Cheers

Paul

My 42" went from Tosh to Currys and then to me.

I had a phone call today, from Tosh telling me that my 57" will be here Monday, direct from them.
Dont know why the smaller models dont come direct.

We had a phone call late this afternoon to say our tv WOULD be coming direct from Toshiba within the next 7 to 10 days and be set up by them. hopefully it will be smiles all round. fingers crossed

When I have told anyone about it they seem to say "what do you want one of then for" I am a little worried now in case their right.

Hi Turver,

Have you had a look at the 42WH36 in the new Currys in Halifax?

If you want to see a better picture, there is a shop in Woolshops shopping precinct just below the bottom entrance to Woolworths, Boots etc. It rents TVs, videos etc and has a 42WH36 in the window with a digital feed to it.

AS long as you converge the picture (from the menu) and watch from about 8 feet away, this set gives an awsome picture. Remember as always that with an rptv the brightness of the pic will drop if you view from too high or too low.

I have been hankering for this TV for quite a while now, but until finances provide, it will have to wait. Maybe the price will be better when I do tale the plunge. (£999.95 rgbdirect.co.uk - good value including p/p)Link to RGB

All the best from Pete (in Sowerby Bridge).:eek:

Thanks Pete, we ended up going to currys and comet in Birstall because we couldnt find a decent tv reception in the Halifax stores. Thats when we decided to take the plunge. This site has been great for us though because we could get all the info we wanted and from people who actually had them rather than a salesman who really didnt have a clue! were looking forward to it coming now, as at the moment were watching a 20" portable!!! (our 28" went on the blink last monday). will put a post up when it comes.
Trish

Originally posted by Lizzard
Where are the Toshibas manufactured in U.K?

They are made in Plymouth, and then I believe shipped to the 'sales' side of the company up in reading, or somewhere...

When I ordered mine from unbeatable, it was delivered by Toshiba themselves, their customer services phoned to give me a date, and a Toshiba Tranny turned up...

I ordered my 51" from Argos web site on Sunday night. (14th March.) Apart from the automatic email I've had no feedback. I'm not very hopeful about quick delivery because the site said expect to wait 28 days and someone else in these forums said they had phoned around and no-one had stock until April. Anyone care to predict when I'll hear something?

When I ordered my 42wh36 from Hi Spek last week they had a 51" in stock and I could have had it inside 3 days with a free Subwoofer for £1399.00.

Why don't you try them?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,
Just to let you know we got a letter this morning from Toshiba to say it would be delivered on Monday 29th. Do you know if it would be better to run a s/video lead from DVD player to TV instead of scart lead which would also free up scart socket on TV.
Cheers
Trish

You should run RGB on your Scart socket as it is way better than S-video.

The best on the Toshiba is of course component inputs if you have a DVD player with it.

Had my 42wh36 delivered yesterday and only had a short time to play with it. I am seriously impressed. Colours are great but black levels need some improvment. Should I have the Black Stretch on?

I loaded up Finding Nemo R1 from my Tosh sd220e via RGB scart and will it was very good I couldnt change the scan mode from progress, it wouldn't let me. Is this normal when playing an NTSC disc?

Sky channels seem a bit hit and miss. I am delighted with the look of Sky Sports. Also movie channels look great. Non premium channels like UK style look a bit naff though.

Will do a bit more tinkering tonight.

Could anybody give me what they consider to be the best settings on Contrast, brightness, Tint, sharpness, colour, scan mode and anything else you care to recommend.

Cheers

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom